General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

pitman arm questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 11:58 AM
blazerium is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pitman arm questions

Hi to all of you blazerguys!

I'm new to this forum, I have a blazer 96 since 2 weeks and I love it.
I put 4 new wintertires on it thursday.The mecano who installed my tire said to me that my 4 balljoints needs to be change...and it was true.He also recommanded to me change my pit man arm.

then after my appointement, I go to my autopart for buying my 4 ***** joints and the pit man arm.

Yesterday I changed my 4 ballsjoint.(I saw that the old balljoints were very dangerous!).
Now I dont know if I should changing my self the pitman arm,or let the mecano do it monday.
(I have an other appointement monday for allignment).

I took a look to the pitman yesterday,and probably no problem to separate the pitman from the steering box with the same fork that I used for my balljoints.My questions is about the nut,it seems to be very near of the frame,Is it possible to remove it my self or better don't take chance.(surely the pitman might be seize up in)Need special tool? not a lot a space to put a puller...
Do you have some advices or tips guys?

Thank you

Old 11-18-2006, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: pitman arm questions

Welcome to the forum.
It's best to use a pitman arm puller to remove the pitman arm, it's on real tight. It will probably take a mechanic an hour to change it.

Your fork will not work to remove the pitman arm

Look forward to seeing some pictures of your truck.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I too will have to say to NOT use the pickle fork (yeah that's what their called) to remove the pitman arm. Not only are they on there really tight, but you could end up ruining your steering box in the process.

Old 11-18-2006, 05:23 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

make sure u mark the steering gear shaft and even the old arm. try and put a mark on the new arm near the same spot as on the old arm. this will help with the install and not turnning your steering wheel from the straight pos. ur gonna get an align. but i hate it when the wheel is slightly cocked when straight.

Old 11-19-2006, 12:57 AM
blazerium is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys, I think I will let this job to my mecanic.

It will more safe.

(I will put some pics of my cars soon,on this forum...Chevy one day...chevy all day!!

Old 11-19-2006, 09:57 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

dont waste ur time with those shiesters, the more u try the more u learn. so that next time or next vehicle u will breeze right through.