General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

r&r ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:56 AM
triangleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default r&r ignition switch

I am having the intermittent security light issue along with the
intermittent cranks no start, wait 15 minutes, starts right up problems.
After a little research, its seems to be a faulty ignition switch. My Haynes
manual is no help. Can anyone help with instructions on how to replace
the ignition switch?
Thanks

Old 04-06-2006, 11:50 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: r&r ignition switch

I used these Instructions with my son in law on his 97 Blazer three weeks ago and it took us 2 1/2 hours to swap out....
Take your time and it will work perfect.........Good Luck

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=287636

Old 04-07-2006, 02:50 AM

thanks, just what I was looking for

Old 04-07-2006, 09:24 PM
spirithorse17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passlock and Security Light Issue

I've been scanning this forum and noticed that the "intermittent security light isssue/engine shut-down" seems to be an accepted problem with the Passlock/Security system.

I have a 2000 Blazer, 4WD, very low mileage, and this problem began in the first year of ownership (advised by GM to wait the standard 10+ minutes or "re-set" by pumping the key partially).

Since then, I've gone to the dealer three times with this problem (providing detailed letters of what happens and WHERE...sometimes late at night and not too convenient). They have re-set the codes and keys, most recently have changed two wires in hopes of fixing the problem. Unfortunately, from the time I began the first of three visits, my warranty has expired.

I have seen on this forum that it could be an ignition switch (wondering if anyone has solved the problem with replacement), the starter, or the starter solenoid.

Just curious as to how common this problem really is, how to solve it, and if anyone has any recommendations as to how I should approach either the dealer or GM. The dealer does not have a direct connection because they are GMC as opposed to Chevrolet. This situation is becoming increasingly frustrating, and exactly one night after the last attempt (the replacement of two wires), my LIGHTS WENT COMPLETELY OUT WHILE DRIVING....first, upon switching to brights...then after fiddling with the dome override and fog lights, I got them back on, but then they went out again by themselves. This was of course at 9:30 P.M. on windy country roads...in the rain!

Another concurrent symptom since the Security Light problem began rearing its occasional, cyclical head - the engine seems to "sag" upon startup. It's as if the battery is low, but it's not...this happened even after a battery replacement

Really appreciate anyone's time and advice.

Mike

Old 04-07-2006, 10:28 PM
Default RE: Passlock and Security Light Issue

I am waiting on my part from 1st chevyparts.com, 59.60 delivered,
I will let everyone know how it goes when it is installed

Old 04-10-2006, 09:35 PM
spirithorse17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Triangleman, for letting us know how the ignition switch replacement goes for the Security Light problem. Am scheduled to take my Blazer back in this week (contacted Chevrolet) for what will hopefully be the final chapter...If I can tell them it's the ignition switch, that would be great!

Old 04-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Starting Member
2klt is an unknown quantity at this point

Deleted due to prior response not seen

Old 04-13-2006, 01:23 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I had the security/ignition switch problem in my '00. Dealer replaced the ignition switch while it was still under warrenty and I have not had a problem since. Its been 2 years now, and no problem.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:21 PM
sbranch is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, my only question is, when this occurs, the engine will still turn over just not crank. Is this the same problem?

Old 06-03-2006, 01:30 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: sbranch

Ok, my only question is, when this occurs, the engine will still turn over just not crank. Is this the same problem?
Yes, This is the same thing that happened to my son in law's truck. Engine would crank but would'nt start. Then ten min later it would start up fine. Turn the key to the on position, listen for the fuel pump to wine, check for dash lights to be on. if dash lights work, you will hear the fuel pump wine. If this condition goes untreated, it could become dangerous to you and any passengers in your car when it dies out in the middle of an intersection for no reason at any given time...Good luck

Quick Reply: r&r ignition switch