General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

RE: couple issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 02:15 AM
jschlip1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: couple issues

96 S10 Blazer 4x4 4.3, so, my first thing is the left rear brake, (Drum) seems to stick after it rains/snows and has been sitting, after driving it, it usually comes out of it but sometimes not... I have replaced everything in the rear, IE hardware, w/c, shoes, drums... My 96 grand am did the same thing?? Suggestions?? Also, The brake pedal goes at least half way down before it starts to grab?? Thinking master cylinder??

Second, the rear wiper works sometimes, and others not, it will go part way up and stop... I have to get out and give it a nudge, mostly when theres just spray on the window.... Is that normal with the added drag of not being so wet??

Whoops, ok, three questions.... I also have a squeel type sound that is always there when running, but it is in time with the rpm's, not like a constant belt squeel, seems to be comming from low center of engine??? Clutch fan maybe??

Thanks everyone for taking the time to review and reply, i do my best to help also!

Old 01-25-2006, 02:28 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

There maybe some rust in a brake line causing it to stick. How is the adjustment?

2. I had the same problem with my wiper too. when it rains it would quit and have its own intermittent cycle. It was under a 6 mo warranty and they replaced a relay.

3. I dont know how many belts under your hood. Maybe a worn serpentine, low power steering fluid, rusting idle pulley bearing...

Old 01-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On a grabbing brake, I remember this same thing when we had a hired hand change the rear drum brakes on my dad's GMC 2500. The guy put the right rear shoes on the wrong sides. They'll go in and seem to work, but cause the lockup. I can't remember which side (looking at the end of the axle) the longer pad is supposed to go on, but maybe someone else will enlighten us all. You should definitely pull it apart and have a good look at everything inside.

Don't know about the wiper problem...

On the squeel, I'd try disconnecting the A/C compressor clutch and driving around like that to see if it is still there. Even if it isn't constant, it could still be a worn/aged belt. The 4.3L and the v8s of the same serpentine design have pretty bad problems with belt slip once the belt ages a little. Mine would only do it when it was wet outside. Replaced it with a Goodyear Gatorback belt and haven't had a problem since.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:20 PM

I had a noisy bearing on my previous alternator. The new one solved my noise problem.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it definitely could be a bearing starting to go bad in any one of the like 5 things on the front of the motor that house bearings. The A/C, Alternator, PS Pump, Water Pump and the idler. I think the PS pump has ps fluid flooding the bearings so that shouldn't make any noise. The A/C, Alternator, water pump and idler though could all cause a noise at certain rpms if they are starting to wear.

Old 01-25-2006, 04:38 PM

Kyle, the hydrometer is no longer visible on my battery. No problems with starting/charging system. It's about 4 years old. Think it's on its way out. What do you think?

Old 01-25-2006, 04:42 PM

And why is there 3 posts for this now? what did I do?

Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife
Kyle, the hydrometer is no longer visible on my battery. No problems with starting/charging system. It's about 4 years old. Think it's on its way out. What do you think?
Scott, try to stay on topic. But to answer your question, I'd have the battery load tested. If it doesn't pass, get a new one. Expected life of a battery is 3-5 years depending on the brand and how it is used. Seeing as how battery tests are free at most parts stores, just have one done like every other week or so. Or just replace the battery.

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife
And why is there 3 posts for this now? what did I do?
I don't see 3 posts...

Old 01-25-2006, 07:02 PM

before I logged out. It showed 3 "RE: couple issues" I dont see them now.

Old 01-25-2006, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Not a problem. Sometimes the server gets mixed up. I've seen it before.

Quick Reply: RE: couple issues