General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

rear end squeek

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 07:05 PM
tammikm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default rear end squeek

I have a squeek in the rear end of my 2001 trailblazer, I can hear it when I bounce on the rear bumper, sounds like old bed springs, would this be the shocks or the leaf springs? the shocks were replaced about a year ago with monroe sensa trac shocks

thanks

Old 08-09-2006, 08:00 PM
Beginning Member
moggy59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: rear end squeek

It may just be your rear window squeaking.

https://blazerforum.com/m_28886/tm.htm

This post talks about how to fix it if it is the window.

Old 08-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is for an s-series based blazer, not the new trailblazers moggy.

Anyway, it is possible that it is a squeaky leaf spring mount or a failing rear shock. How many miles are on the vehicle? Can you make it do it when stopped by bouncing the rear of the vehicle?

Old 08-11-2006, 04:33 AM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also got new Sensatrac shocks a year ago and I started noticing the same noise shortly after that. (It's nothing like the rear window squeak, it is just like old bed springs.) Two mechanics said they think it is the shocks, or one of them, but that they were properly installed and they work fine, they are just "defective" in that they squeak, and I don't need to replace them. One mechanic said he disconnected the shock and the noise stopped. He put chassis grease on the shock (rubber bushing?) and it may have helped a little for awhile. Yes, it will do it when stopped by bouncing on the rear. But it annoys me most when going over bumps at low speed with the windows open. I would like to know if anyone else is having this problem with new Sensatrac shocks and if they have any solutions. I could have gotten the shocks replaced under warranty but didn't want to pay the labor. I was sort of hoping it was the leaf spring bushings, as that made more sense to me.

Anne
'91 S-10 Blazer, 2dr
151,500 miles

Old 08-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have Monroe Reflex shocks on the front and sensa-traks with load assist on the rear without squeaks of any kind...

Old 08-11-2006, 03:05 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you should spray some WD-40 on the rear spring mounting points on the frame and the area where they are bolted to the axle to see if that helps....

Old 08-12-2006, 12:38 PM

I did try spraying something on the rear spring mounting points, it might have been silicone or WD-40 or both, and so did the guys at the shop, before they told me they thought it was the shocks. But we may have missed some spots and I could try this again.

My shocks are the regular Monroe Sensatracs, not the load-assist ones. Another thing I could do (or Tammikm, who is having exactlly the same problem) is to call Monroe and talk to one of their representatives. I have talked to them before, when I was deciding what shocks to buy, and they were very nice. I think if two of us are having the problem, and if it is the shocks, they probably have heard about it by now. The phone number is on the tech support section of their site, at www.monroe.com . (And I just looked and there is something in their FAQ section about noise in new shocks, but it doesn't sound like the same noise.)

Anne
'91 2dr S-10 blazer

Old 08-12-2006, 11:55 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

That is for an s-series based blazer, not the new trailblazers moggy
Kyle, I think this may be an s-10 blazer with the Trailblazer trim package since G.M. didn't build the new Trailblazer vehicle until the 2002 model year.

Anyway, welcome to the site. The fact that you can duplicate this with the vehicle sitting still will take the guesswork out of the equation. You need to lay under the back of the truck (BLOCK THE WHEELS)and have someone bounce the suspension to see where the noise is coming from. It sounds to me like it is dry shock bushings though. Try spraying a good penetrating lubricant (G.M. superlube works great for this type of problem) on the shock bushings and see what happens.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Yeah oops.. My bad.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:26 AM

Thanks for that post, Lastcoupe. It gives me new hope that maybe it could indeed be the shocks and maybe I can get rid of that annoying noise. I will look for GM Superlube..... would that be mainly available from the dealer?....... or something similar sounding.

However, I don't really get why new shock bushings would be dry, and I was told you don't put lubricant on them when you install them....... so maybe it's the material they're made of? Maybe the folks at Monroe could shed some light. Don't know when I'll get to this, but if I do, I'll report the results.

Anne
'91 2dr S-10 Blazer

Quick Reply: rear end squeek