General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replacing Alternator.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:44 AM
insertcreativenamehe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing Alternator.

So I'm replacing the alternator in my 99 Blazer. Anyone have tips for making the process smoother? I know it was a pain in the *** having to replace the alternator on my Kia. Though the Blazer's is in a much friendlier location. So in short what parts do I/should I remove prior to working on the alternator?

Old 01-26-2006, 04:09 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Replacing Alternator.

Hi, pull the idler arm back and remove the serpentine belt. I used a 3/8 rachet with an extension. Two bolts hold the alt on the block. disconnect the harness. Real easy.

wash rinse and repeat

Old 01-26-2006, 04:26 PM
insertcreativenamehe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks much. She's running sweet again.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Starting Member
Bocomo is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced my alternator over this past weekend. At idle it sounds normal, at higher RPMs (while driving, 2000 to 2500) there is squeel sound (I would say a wobble squeel, if I knew what a wobble squeel was).

Naturally I bought a rebuilt lifetime warranty alternator at O'Reilly. Since it was my first experience with a serpentine built I had a few minor mishaps where I didn't get everything in line prior to "releasing" idle arm/pulley. After a couple of attempts everything was where it should be. While celebrating my success I decided to fire the ol' Blazer up. Wow, it is holding its charge again, but when driving it squeels.

I thought about getting a loud exhaust to cover up the sound, but decided I would ask if anybody had any better ideas. By sound I would guess the bearings on the alternator but..........maybe you guys have a better idea or something else to check.

Thanks,

Old 02-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you replace the belt as well? It is quite possible that the nice clean pulley on the new alt is causing the belt to slip and squeal. I recommend either a Gate belt or Goodyear Gatorback. I'm running a gatorback on my Bravada.

The gatorbacks have a tread pattern much like the tread on a tire. For my supercharger belt on my Bonneville, the gatorback resists slipping much more than a regular belt.

For the price of a belt, and considering what its running, I replace mine once every other year and keep the old one in the jack compartment in the back of my Bravada. I also have a cheap breaker bar back there that I can use to replace the belt or to pull off the lugs to change a tire if necessary.

Old 02-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Starting Member

No, I didn't replace the belt. I do agree it is a pretty cheap attempt and something that is needed to be done even if it doesn't solve the issue. I'd say it has been several years since it was replaced. I remembere reading that you like Gatorbelts. I'll try to find one.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:48 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I know where to get one. It's in the back of some dudes Olds.....

Old 02-15-2006, 10:36 AM
Starting Member

Now it is a problem of driving to Western NY from Missouri or down to the Autozone. However I know the guy in NY with the Olds will have the right belt. The kids at Autozone...........well you just never know.

Gator back belts, hmmm..........oh well this will be easier than the alternator.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you wanted to verify that it is the belt, you could buy a can of belt dressing, but belt dressing shouldn't be used for a permanent fix. It will cause the belt to degrade much more quickly even though it may make it bite better. The problem is that the belt dressing is probably half the cost of a new belt. I'd rather buy the belt, especially if it hasn't been replaced in quite awhile.

*EDIT* - Autozone has the gatorback belt for your truck PN 4060952 $27.99
Advanced Auto has the gatorback belt PN 4060952 $28.99
Advanced Auto has the Dayco (another very good, but expensive brand) PN 5060950 $35.94

All prices and PNs are w/ AC

Old 02-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 4lowlife
I know where to get one. It's in the back of some dudes Olds.....
LOL. Yeah, you could have my old one, but I removed it because it was squealling in the rain!

Quick Reply: Replacing Alternator.