General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Service Engine Soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Starting Member
mrspeedy69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Service Engine Soon

Hey i have a 97 4door 4wd blazer ls. It's an automatic and it's been running great, well the other day i took it to have the oil changed and as soon as i pulled out of the parking lot i noticed that it felt gutless when starting to take off. Well as i got down the road the service engine soon light came on and it felt kind of like it was cutting out. But more so it just felt like it had no power when trying to take off, after i got up to like 20mph it was fine. So i stopped and popped the hood to see if anything was loose or something and i closed the hood. I shut it off and started it back up and it ran fine all day long. Well today i went to work and on the way back home it started doing the same thing and it won't quit now. Does anybody have any ideas of what this might be or steps to go about seeing what possibilities it could be?

Old 10-08-2006, 03:15 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Service Engine Soon

did they check your air filter?
Maybe they disconnected the maf sensor or something on the air intake duct. Check for wire connectors that are unplugged, especially on the air intake from the air filer area.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:17 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i would have the place that did the oil change check it out since it started after that. Have the OBDII DTC's checked on the computer that will tell you what direction to take. Or where the problem might be...

Old 10-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Starting Member

Thanks guys, i haven't had time to get the code checked yet but today i learned that it only does this after it gets warmed up. When i first start it and take off it drives fine till about 10mins later and also when the service engine light comes on it won't shift into overdrive when i'm driving on the highway. Kinda weird, maybe it's a sensor or something, but i'll get the code checked as soon as i have time...

Old 10-09-2006, 01:55 PM
tycobb280 is an unknown quantity at this point

i had kinda the opposite problem. my problem was when i first started driving it would cut out and kinda act like it wasnt getting much fuel or something, then it would work itself out after i started driving. my engine light would go on occasionally, mostly on a long drive, but then would go off later. i had the code checked at auto zone. it said something about connection on air flow sensor. i cleaned the connector on it and cleaned the cross hairs if the air flow sensot with carb cleaner. havent had any problem since.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Starting Member

Ok i went and got the code ran today it's P0740 or it maybe Po instead of P0. Which is supposedly a malfunctioned torque converter control module. Also he autozone came up with P01860 but o'reilly's didn't, and thats suppose to be transmission control circuit? I have no clue what these are, does anybody know anything about this and whether or not it's gonna be expensive?

Old 10-09-2006, 11:54 PM
Starting Member

Also i was going to add, after it got the oil changed my ignition is messed up now. The key won't turn all the way back to the off position but my key still comes out and i can start it without the key. I read somewhere that the code P0740 is usually caused by an short and someone said that it was his ignition switch. Do you think that this could be the problem?

Old 10-10-2006, 12:09 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Check the wiring harness connectors on the transmission. Maybe pull the connectors apart and check for water.
Did your ignition problem start at the same time

When the VCM detects a continuous open or a short to ground in the TCC solenoid valve circuit or in the TCC solenoid valve, then DTC P0740 sets
• Inspect the wiring at the VCM, the transmission connector and all other circuit connecting points for the following conditions:

- A backed out terminal

- A damaged terminal

- Reduced terminal tension

- A chafed wire

- A broken wire inside the insulation

- ******** Moisture intrusion **********

- Corrosion

• When diagnosing for an intermittent short or open condition, massage the wiring harness while watching the test equipment for a change.

• With the TCC engaged, the TCC slip speed should be -20 to +50 RPM.

• ****** A faulty ignition switch may set this code. *******

Old 10-10-2006, 12:14 AM
Starting Member

Yeah the ignition problems didn't start till after the check engine light came on. Sometimes it will turn all the way back but not all the time. I know this may sound dumb but where exactly is the VCM sorry i'm rather new at this. And is their a specific connect on the transmission that would set this off or should i just check all of them?

Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 AM
BF Veteran

The VCM is under the hood by the A/C accumulator. Check all the transmission connectors.

Before you disconnect any of the VCM connectors, you should disconnect the battery.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/C2FE94A656C04EA18D21946BB4F0FD06.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon