General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 03:40 AM
Chevychick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default shifting issues

well ive had this reoccurring problem in my 97 s10 blazer. when i am on the highway and driving fast for a long period of time (around an hour or so) and then get off the highway and do some stop and go slower road driving, my auto transmission kicks really hard when shifting from 1st to 2nd. it only happens after being on the highway for a while then driving slower. once i give the car a rest, it goes away. but it literally jerks the whole car when shifting and ive been worried about it. anyone have this problem and/or know what it might be/what to fix??

Old 02-06-2006, 06:01 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: shifting issues

Have you checked the fluid level?? When was the last oil change? These things will cuase tranny trouble. When you check the fluid make sure its nice and red not clear red. If you do change put some B&M trick shift tranny oil that will help lots. Try a tranny cooler too that will keep your tranny cooler and its cheap. I recommend the B&M tranny cooler they sell em @ summitracing.com just do a vehicle search with your blazer.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:56 PM

i just had the oil changed recently and the transmission flushed. i have been wondering if perhaps the tranny is overheating, since i have no gauge for that. i was getting a service engine soon light that was going off for "transmission slipping", but the light has since gone off and stayed off, even when this kick happens again. stupid question, but if i get oil and coolant for it, where do i put it in?

Old 02-06-2006, 08:04 PM

The tranny flush might be the cuase of it. Do you know if they changed the filter before they flushed? If they didn't then I think what happened was you got all the gunk freed up from the filter and in the tranny [sm=imsorry.gif]. If so then you might need a rebuild in the near future. I am not 100% though but Keep looking at this thread some of these guys are experts and give you a better idea of whats happening

Old 02-07-2006, 12:41 AM

[sm=repost.gif]

Old 02-07-2006, 04:06 PM

i was thinking that might have been the problem, only the light came on before i got the flush done. Also, i was told by the mechanic i went to that i didnt need a filter replacement because having it replaced is only an unneccesary upsell that some car places use to get more money from you. he said that the tranny filter is not actually a filter, but a screen. they flush it several times and that is supposed to clean out anything that might be on that screen. its gone off since, i dont think that is the problem anymore. i might need to add the oil or the coolant. but yeah, thats what i was told!! ill check the fluid to be sure its still clean. yikes i cant do a rebuild!!! hopefully it is something not so serious.

Old 02-07-2006, 06:07 PM

The filter for a Blazer is not a screen. It looks like a air purification filter made out of some type of soft pink fabric almost like a spongeencased in a black box. The mechanic that told you you did not need to change the filter is wrong and stupid. The engine light turning on might be soething else? Take your truck to autozone or napa and tell them your check engine light is on. They will read the code of your vehicle for free and tell you what is wrong. Tell us the same codes to verify it.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:05 AM

I did have it taken to advance and they read it for me. it said "transmission slipping". actually, the guy at advance was stupid too - he said the SRS light is not the check engine light. well the place i had the transmission flush at read it for me (and i somehow got it out of them for free!) and that is where the transmission slipping code came from. i had them turn off the light for me, thinking it may have just been that it needed a flush, and waited to see if it would come on again. it didnt until i was down in durango (didnt go off on the way there). it was on for about half a day, then turned itself off and hasnt come on again since. it seems to run great except when ive been on the highway for a while, and even when it kicks again, it stops after i give it a little rest. it seems to be doing better, it gets to the point where i dont even have to let it rest, it will stop kicking just after * it realizes were not on the highway anymore*. its all been hard for me to figure out. confusing, eh???

Old 02-08-2006, 05:35 AM

Who did the tranny flush? Who read you the codes?

Old 02-08-2006, 06:23 PM

local auto shop - they seemed reliable and trustworthy.

Quick Reply: shifting issues