Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   simple question (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/simple-question-6802/)

mudsliner 11-22-2006 11:58 PM

simple question

DOes anyone know if the shifter knob comes off of the manual trannys? and if it does how cause i tried twistin it and nuttin happened.

rooster 11-23-2006 02:35 AM

RE: simple question

if u have a ball style then there should be a nut below the knob; otherwise the grip shape knob is pressed on and needs to be pulled off. the easiest way to do this is to remove the shift lever with the knob still on. the lever has a nut below the boot that needs to be loosened and then u would unscrew the lever. i had a bitch of a time getting the knob off, but i was upgrading anyway. so i just cracked the knob in half and junked it.

20Blazer00 11-23-2006 03:32 AM

There is probably a wire retainer clip, look over the knob to find a slot, that is were the wire retainer is located take a small pocket screw driver or pocket knife blade and get the wire out and the knob should pull off.

Chevy Lover 11-23-2006 04:13 AM

NV1500 or NV3500?

rooster 11-23-2006 12:05 PM

i dont believe the 1500 was used on the 6 cyl's, the 1500 was used on the 4 cyl's in 96, borg warner t5 in 94-5. hes driving a 97 4.3 which should be the 3500.

mudsliner 11-23-2006 06:08 PM

yes it is the 3500 and if it is pressed on does that mean there is no threads so i couldnt jus get a knob off summitracing?

Chevy Lover 11-24-2006 03:52 AM

For the NV3500 , remove the screws securing shift tower boot to the floor panel and insulator.
remove the shift lever from the shift tower

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/01641C34A93A49CC8AF2FC067498AB7F.gif[/IMG]

mudsliner 11-25-2006 12:04 AM

yea i know how to take the whole shifter off. but anyone kno if i take the knob off is there threads or will have to get a speical knob cuase they have to be press on??

rooster 11-25-2006 06:48 AM

it has to be pulled off, i just banged a screw driver up the side after i viced the lever. cracked the knob in half but i was replacing it anyway. but a quick idea came to mind when i was reading this. maybe u could fashion a frame out of 2 x4's where the frame would sit higher then the knob and rest on the floor aronud the console, use a simple gear/pulley puller to try a pry it off. make sure u make the frame with enough clearance to remove the knob but also close enough for the teeth on the puller to get a nice bite. but let me tell u, that knob is on fairly tight, so maybe u might fair better with the cave man method and junk the thing.. why are u taking it off in the first place? and as far as replacment, i ended up fashioning a rod that came out of the lever that allowed me to attach the new knob by utilizing its set screw and eliminating the pressed grooves. plus it brought the shifter a inch or so closer to me , which is good if ur tall.

mudsliner 11-25-2006 01:03 PM

i replacing it be cause it is boring and sort of makein the inside of my blazer look better since the im putin a brush gaurd on it and stuff to make it look better.