General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

simple question

Old 11-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Starting Member
mudsliner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default simple question

DOes anyone know if the shifter **** comes off of the manual trannys? and if it does how cause i tried twistin it and nuttin happened.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:35 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: simple question

if u have a ball style then there should be a nut below the ****; otherwise the grip shape **** is pressed on and needs to be pulled off. the easiest way to do this is to remove the shift lever with the **** still on. the lever has a nut below the boot that needs to be loosened and then u would unscrew the lever. i had a bitch of a time getting the **** off, but i was upgrading anyway. so i just cracked the **** in half and junked it.

Old 11-23-2006, 03:32 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is probably a wire retainer clip, look over the **** to find a slot, that is were the wire retainer is located take a small pocket screw driver or pocket knife blade and get the wire out and the **** should pull off.

Old 11-23-2006, 04:13 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

NV1500 or NV3500?

Old 11-23-2006, 12:05 PM

i dont believe the 1500 was used on the 6 cyl's, the 1500 was used on the 4 cyl's in 96, borg warner t5 in 94-5. hes driving a 97 4.3 which should be the 3500.

Old 11-23-2006, 06:08 PM
Starting Member

yes it is the 3500 and if it is pressed on does that mean there is no threads so i couldnt jus get a **** off summitracing?

Old 11-24-2006, 03:52 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

For the NV3500 , remove the screws securing shift tower boot to the floor panel and insulator.
remove the shift lever from the shift tower

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/01641C34A93A49CC8AF2FC067498AB7F.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-25-2006, 12:04 AM
Starting Member

yea i know how to take the whole shifter off. but anyone kno if i take the **** off is there threads or will have to get a speical **** cuase they have to be press on??

Old 11-25-2006, 06:48 AM

it has to be pulled off, i just banged a screw driver up the side after i viced the lever. cracked the **** in half but i was replacing it anyway. but a quick idea came to mind when i was reading this. maybe u could fashion a frame out of 2 x4's where the frame would sit higher then the **** and rest on the floor aronud the console, use a simple gear/pulley puller to try a pry it off. make sure u make the frame with enough clearance to remove the **** but also close enough for the teeth on the puller to get a nice bite. but let me tell u, that **** is on fairly tight, so maybe u might fair better with the cave man method and junk the thing.. why are u taking it off in the first place? and as far as replacment, i ended up fashioning a rod that came out of the lever that allowed me to attach the new **** by utilizing its set screw and eliminating the pressed grooves. plus it brought the shifter a inch or so closer to me , which is good if ur tall.

Old 11-25-2006, 01:03 PM
Starting Member

i replacing it be cause it is boring and sort of makein the inside of my blazer look better since the im putin a brush gaurd on it and stuff to make it look better.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: simple question