General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Sounds like Water Running when I hit the gas!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 09:57 AM
huskers95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sounds like Water Running when I hit the gas!

I hear this sound from the right side dash area of my 2001 Blazer when I hit the gas? Any thoughts on what the problem might be? Cooling system maybe?

Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Sounds like Water Running when I hit the gas!

Yes, you have a low cooling system or a partially restricted heater core.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:33 PM

Ok. Thanks. Just to clarify.....is this related to the cars Air Conditioning system or to the engine cooling system? The reason I ask is because I just replaced one of the radiator tanks and wondered if it might be related to this somehow.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Beginning Member
moggy59 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes as LC says...Nice rides Lastcoupe...bowties everywhere!

Do a search for heater core and there are some good tips for flushing
it out.

Old 10-04-2006, 02:58 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes as LC says...Nice rides Lastcoupe
Thanks moggy!

bowties everywhere
YES.....NOTHIN' BUT THE BEST IN MY DRIVEWAY!!!!![sm=burnout.gif]

Old 10-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member
Dodge Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Could just be an air bubble in the system. Dodge trucks do this all the time. The Fix is to run it up on some ramps and let it run for a while with the radiator cap off and that should purge the air.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:41 PM
93s15jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

my moms 95 taurus makes that same noise. i know it's low on coolant, and yours might be too.

Old 10-05-2006, 04:25 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I get this every time the coolant is low and it will lead to a restricted heater core since the dexcool reacts with any air in the system, causing a sludge like substance. If the tank you replaced had this substance then it will be very likely that your heater core will be restricted or maybe even plugged.

You can reverse flush just the core by removing the hoses at the firewall and running a garden hose on the fittings. Start with the one on the right (looking at the firewall from front of the truck) then go to the other then make sure you get them completely clean and then add more coolant.

I have to do this again and this time I will be replacing the coolant with a more normal coolant. Dexcool has some flaws that I just don't have the money to live with. And since the Dexcool is only so that you don't have to replace every 100K I think that moving to the Green or regular style coolants works better. Well at least they should not cause the heating system to fail if there is a little air in the engine cooling system.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: 20Blazer00

I get this every time the coolant is low and it will lead to a restricted heater core since the dexcool reacts with any air in the system, causing a sludge like substance. If the tank you replaced had this substance then it will be very likely that your heater core will be restricted or maybe even plugged.

You can reverse flush just the core by removing the hoses at the firewall and running a garden hose on the fittings. Start with the one on the right (looking at the firewall from front of the truck) then go to the other then make sure you get them completely clean and then add more coolant.

I have to do this again and this time I will be replacing the coolant with a more normal coolant. Dexcool has some flaws that I just don't have the money to live with. And since the Dexcool is only so that you don't have to replace every 100K I think that moving to the Green or regular style coolants works better. Well at least they should not cause the heating system to fail if there is a little air in the engine cooling system.
Again, more misconceptions. Dexcool does not react with the air in the system. The sludge comes from corrosion that sets in on unprotected areas where air is present. There are areas in every engine where air can accumulate and since dexcool does not leave a layer of itself on the metals inside the engine, the air can react with these metals and the presence of water in the coolant, causing corrosion. Also, this entrapped air causes hot spots that can boil out the water, leading to further problems. Dexcool does not react with air.

Now with that said, when I have done my flushes on my vehicles, I have used Prestone Yellow coolant which is supposed to be All makes All models extended life coolant. I have never had or heard of problems with this coolant and I have used it primarily because it is still extended life, but is cheaper than dexcool.

Remember, you final flush through everything should be done with distilled water to make sure that impurities from tap water don't degrade the cooling system fluid quality.

Old 10-06-2006, 04:30 PM

Could just be an air bubble in the system. Dodge trucks do this all the time. The Fix is to run it up on some ramps and let it run for a while with the radiator cap off and that should purge the air.

Thanks for the help guys. I tried this last night and it seems to have done the trick.

Quick Reply: Sounds like Water Running when I hit the gas!