General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

start trouble

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 06:10 PM
ejradel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default start trouble

i have a 97 blazer that when you drive for 10 to 15 min and park it won't start the dash light come on turn the key nothing but if you jump the starter with a srew driver it turns over no problem i have checked volteg at the key have power there and at the fuse butt no power at the starter need suggestins can' t fig this darn thing out.
thanks in advance for any help

Old 07-01-2006, 11:44 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: start trouble

If it's an automatic, have you tried staring it in all gears?
If you have 2 people, check for power at the "s" terminal at the starter motor with someone holding the key in the "crank" position.
If you get power to the "s" terminal, try tapping the starter with a hammer. If it's an old starter you might have worn or sticking brushes.
Sounds like a possible ignition switch
Check for good battery connections (corrosion)
Can't think of anything else at this moment

Old 07-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Beginning Member
supermancs is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 97 blazer also. My blazer will just die sometimes when I'm driving or sitting at a light. If my blazer is parked overnight and I come out to start it starts rights up on the first turn of the key. If I go to the store and come back to the blazer I will turn it halfway and no dash lights come on but if I wait a minute the dash lights come on and I turn the key the rest of the way and it starts right up. The shop can't figure out what causes this problem. They changed the battery still dying. The change the distributor cap and ignition control module and it's still dying.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:03 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: supermancs

I have a 97 blazer also. My blazer will just die sometimes when I'm driving or sitting at a light. If my blazer is parked overnight and I come out to start it starts rights up on the first turn of the key. If I go to the store and come back to the blazer I will turn it halfway and no dash lights come on but if I wait a minute the dash lights come on and I turn the key the rest of the way and it starts right up. The shop can't figure out what causes this problem. They changed the battery still dying. The change the distributor cap and ignition control module and it's still dying.
SUPERMANCS You Have a BAD IGNITION SWITCH, It's a Very Very common problem on 97's....

Old 07-02-2006, 01:47 PM
ejradel is an unknown quantity at this point

checked the s terminel on start when cold has power but when it is hot no power . i checked power at the ign it has power there and i have tried to start in all gears and still nothing but it will start in park or nutral when cold.i don't know what else to do

Old 07-03-2006, 12:26 AM
Beginning Member

Hey Dino55,

Why wouldn't the shop know that or tell me that? How do you that is the problem? I heard the 97's are bad for their ignition switches.

Old 07-03-2006, 12:52 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

ej- ignition key. Because you don't have power at the starter when hot. Could also be a partially fried fuseable link. The fuseable link is within 12" of the starter. If it shows any sign of swelling or discoloration, replace it with another fuseable link. You could also have a bad connection on the starter. Clean the contacts, posts, where the wires attach to the starter. Don't just look at them, take them off and clean them. It doesn't take much corrosion at all to create problems.

super- ICM, ignition control module. Becuase yours dies when hot, and starts right up when cold. Most auto parts stores can test it for free. Make sure you use the grease when you put the new one one. The ICM doesn't react to heat well, that grease helps dissapate the heat so you don't fry your ICM.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:56 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Dino55,

Why wouldn't the shop know that or tell me that? How do you that is the problem? I heard the 97's are bad for their ignition switches.
Your truck has the two of the classic signs of a bad ignition switch, Dying and no dashlights. Your shop may not know what to look for because it's an intermitent problem... If you don't change it soon, it will get worse. Next time it act's up listen for the fuel pump to whine, Your pump won't whine at all. The power to your fuel pump get's cut off, thats why it dies out sometimes. Good luck .....

Old 07-03-2006, 09:31 AM
Beginning Member

Hey Hanr3, they already replaced the ignition control module and it still dies sometimes. Thanks Dino55 I will have the shop take a look at the ignition switch.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:10 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Hanr3, they already replaced the ignition control module and it still dies sometimes. Thanks Dino55 I will have the shop take a look at the ignition switch.

Did they put the grease on the back side of it?