General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

still leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 03:43 AM
rmon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default still leaking

I found my intake manifold gasket shot so i replaced them. it was good for about a day or two, then noticed a leak from the front of engine,a mechanic friend of mine says thier known for antifreeze consumption.(i think not) ive had to add antifreeze twice,(1 gal.each time) truck is not running hot no noise . the little leak does not messure to what ive added by far. pressure test was good. doesnt smoke, runs great, shouldnt be adding so much antifreeze. did notice heads had a little pitting on intake surface, love this truck just getting frustrated.what should i replace next, ican alway tell when antifreeze is low,it starts to blow cold air from the heater. over folw is out but radiator is full.?????

Old 02-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: still leaking

How do your plugs look? Does the exhaust have a sweet smell to it? You aren't getting antifreeze in your oil are you - VERY BAD!?

It is possible that somehow you are getting antifreeze into a cylinder and blowing it out the exhaust. A compression check would tell you if you have a problem with a head gasket. Also, if you fill the radiator, put air pressure into each cylinder through the spark plug hole (with the valves closed) and look for bubbles in the radiator, you can pin point a possible bad head gasket or cracked head. Both of which could cause antifreeze consumption.

Another place would be a leak between the water passage in the intake manifold and the intake passage at the intake manifold gasket. I would think that putting on new intake gaskets would have fixed this problem.

Help us out a bit more and post with your year and engine so we can further give some specific answers.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:43 PM
rmon is an unknown quantity at this point

My blazier is a 1998, with a 4.3l.have not checked my plugs yet. & no , their is no sweet smell from exaust. some times from under the hood. First pressure test was good . Ive found im not the only person i no with the same or similar problem.

Old 02-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

So a pressure test was done and it passed, but it's still loosing coolant?

I have a small weep at the front/drivers corner of the lower intake manifold, but I keep a close eye on everything and when it gets worse, I'll fix it. Hopefully it stays together until this summer when my Bravada will be sidelined for more enjoyable vehicles.