General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange Substance. .

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:03 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default Strange Substance. .

So I have noticed that there is a strange substance that slowly drips out from under my dash on the passenger side. . It is colorless and odorless (not coolant). . My first thought was that it was condensation dripping off of my air conditioner components in the dash. . I thought this until I ran my finger across the bottom of the dash, like the outside bottom edge of the glove box, and apparently this "unknown substance" gels when it cools down. . Thats right, it has the consistency of say vaseline or hair gel, however it has no odor or color. . I'm not too worried about it because all of my fluid levels are just fine (this has been going on for about 4 months) and everything in the truck works fine. . However, it is really starting to **** me off because I have no earthly clue what it is... please help me identify what this is or the cause of this unknown, colorless, odorless, gel-like substance. . . . [:@]

Old 10-22-2006, 11:43 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Strange Substance. .

that's where I left my hair gel. sorry buddy.

On a serious note, it could be just adhesive,

Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

adhesive for what?

Old 10-23-2006, 12:37 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Are you sure it's not dexcool? Is it slippery or sticky?

Old 10-23-2006, 01:18 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

dunno, just throwin out ideas

Old 10-23-2006, 02:28 AM

It isn't sticky.... it's slick. . . but isn't dexcool redish orange? and if it were leaking fluid, I would be low.... and it would have an odor..... it doesnt though. . . this is what confuses me soooo much..... I think it only drips if the air conditioner is on.... could it maybe be a lubricant for the blower motor on the a/c or heat? if it is a lithium based lube, it would gel like that and not have color or odor..... but I don't know if it could be that, I haven't exactly had my dash apart so I dont know where the blower motor is at. . . oh well, it's not affecting the truck, just annoying me. . . I am 1000000% sure it IS NOT coolant of any form. . . . . . I also know it isn't dexcool, because my radiator and cooling system have been flushed and replaced that junk with prestone 50/50......

Old 10-23-2006, 04:24 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

My next thought would be possibly pag oil from the a/c evapoator core. It's clear and odorless. If it is leaking, then the refrigerant must also be leaking and the a/c would be less efficient. Hard to check when it's cold outside already.
I wonder if you check under the hood if you can tell if there's anything leaking under the evaporater case near the firewall?