General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Stupid question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
cmsweet123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stupid question

So, I just found this forum today after realizing I need to get up to speed on my 99 Blazer. I've always had a shop do most of my maintenance on this vehicle because it seems so hard to work on. Well, the SES light came on and got a code of P0300...yeah, I know, could be a lot of things. I took it in and was told it needs new fuel filter, throttle body service, rotor, disti cap, wires and plugs...and they'll do it all for a mere $800!!! Um...no.

So, I had them do the fuel filter and throttle body service (because I had no idea where either of these were) and now that I'm on this forum, I see both of these things have been referenced many times.

My question is, for the rotor, disti cap, wires and plugs...are there any brand recomendations for these? Also, a few of the plugs look like they are going to be really hard to get to, any tips for me before I try it and get frustrated then throw a tool at the garage wall?

I've changed two of the injectors in this thing already, so I'm not ruling that out yet, but that code isn't cylinder specific. So, I'm assuming it's one of the things i've mentioned.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:30 PM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Stupid question

First off, that price for 800 for all that service is a huge rip off.
For the plugs, there is one on the middle of the driver side part of the engine. I went through the wheel well and stuck a swivel extention and was able to get it out. The others are easily removable through the wheel well also. Just that middle one gave me a hard time cuz of the steering column being in the way.
The fuel filter i assume is on the driver side under the car. Behind the frame closer to the rear left wheel. I may be wrong though. The fuel filter looks like a silver (if not rusted) can looking type of object. The threads may be rusted, so try using some PB blaster or some wd40.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 PM

Is it the vortec engine, CPI?

Old 11-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Thanks USMav...did you have issues getting th wires off the plugs at all? I remember having a hellovatime getting one off some time ago...there must be a tool that makes it easier than a needlenose cuz I couldn't get any leverage.

Thoughts?

Yep Vortec 4.3L...not sure what you mean by 'CPI'...

I agree with the $800...back in the day when I was single, it was no big deal...now with a family and a house payement, the days of bringing the vehicle in and sitting at the pub for a few beers while it's being worked on are gone! Gotta learn how to do this stuff myself.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A '99 will be SCFI (sequential central fuel injection). The CPI (central port injection) was up until late '95.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:54 PM

o0h, that clears things up. Whats the difference between CPI and SCFI?
And something i've always been wondering, whats a Typhoon?
its probably a stupid question, but i've always been wondering and no better place to ask[sm=yikesomg.gif]

Old 11-02-2006, 02:35 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I find the easiest way to remove plug wires is to give them a little twist and then pull. Put a little silicone dielectric grease in the boot before you install the new ones. It helps with assembly, keeps moisture out and makes it easier to remove them in the future.
There are tools to assist in removal, but they're usually a pain to use.
Remember to change the wires one at a time, start with longest to shortest wires.
For plugs, use AC Delco. As far as wires, cap, rotor...just don't go cheap, you get what you pay for!

If you get frustrated, just put down the tools and click on the forum....someone will have the answers.

Oh and welcome to the forum

Old 11-02-2006, 11:56 AM

Thanks ChevyLover. I'm going to take care of this sometime this weekend. I went out and purcahsed a 20" extension and the plug socket w/u-joint as someone said they used for the the middle plug on the drivers side...I took a look and yeah, it looks like that's going to be the hard one.

Thanks everyone for the help. This shouldn't be too hard.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

I found a way to get at the middle without buying anything special. I had an old spark plug socket laying around that never got used. I put it on the bench grinder and took about 3/8 of an inch, (guessing here), maybe a lil more and it slides right in and you gan get the ratchet on it as well.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:30 AM

So, do you guys take off the front tires to get through the wheel well to get at the spark plugs? Or just turn the wheel?

Quick Reply: Stupid question