General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

That's a new smell! Right rear tire area

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 PM
SaigaShooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default That's a new smell! Right rear tire area

So I got out of my truck today, and instantly noticed a burning smell coming from the right rear tire area.

I figure either the bearing is shot, or the brake is dragging on the rotor. I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable than me can advise me on what to look for.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: That's a new smell! Right rear tire area

Assuming rear disk brakes... Most likely a froze caliper either from the slider pins locking up, the flexible brake hose degrading internally, or from the caliper piston itself not retracting properly.

If it's the brakes, you probably won't be able to turn the wheel very easily with the back end jacked up. If you have a limited slip rear end (RPO code G80), then it will be difficult to turn the rear tire unless the transmission is in neutral. Please be careful and use jack stands and wheel chocks to keep the truck from falling/rolling when in neutral.

It would help to know what year and options your vehicle is/has. Please add this information to your signature (in 'My Profile') and attached it to your posts.

Old 11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch out though...I had the same thing happnin, and it turned out to be my gears in the pumpkin. Very expensive...

Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 PM

The bottom slider on the caliper seems to be locked up, the top one seems fine.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's enough to do it. If you can't get it loose quickly, a new caliper bracket is less than $20, then you'd need new pins & boots, but it's still cheaper (to me) to buy a new bracket and everything than it is to spend even an hour cleaning up the old one. I just had to go through the brakes on the back of my Bravada.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:03 PM

Thanks swartlkk, that was it. I managed to get the pin out, cleaned up, and then cleaned up the recess in the caliper also, relubed everything, works dandy now.