General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 03:15 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default Torsion bars

Other than wear on suspension components, what are the cons of crancking the t-bars 2 inches? will it give me really uneven tire wear? I am looking for the cheapest way to lift my truck 2 inches, but I do not want to destroy it. . . . help please, I know some of you have done this. . . any suggestions on cheap ways to lift 2 inches?

Old 10-08-2006, 03:48 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: Torsion bars

I forgot to mention, I want to do this to clear 31x10.50's. . . will it work? I dont do any hard off roading, just the occasional mud hole or two.... im mainly going for looks. . if this will work I plan to do a superlifts add-a-leaf in the rear. .

Old 10-08-2006, 05:43 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Seemings how no one else has replied to your post....I will.
I didn't reply sooner, 'cause I don't know..but here's what I think I would try.
1st pick a spot on the front of the frame..like a body bolt, then (with the truck on the level) take a measurement, frame to ground.
Then crank up your torsion bar, take another measurement. If you're happy with the hight, take it for a drive and check over pot holes and bumps. I have a feeling it will be stiff.
If your happy, go get an alignment 'cause your camber and toe in will definately be off.
If not loosen the torsion bar til you are back to the original measurement, frame to ground. ( the measurement that you wrote down earlier, so you wouldn't forget!)

As I said...I don't know, my trucks are old and have leaf springs front and rear.

Old 10-08-2006, 06:07 PM

I just dont wanna screw up my truck. I want more ground clearance and bigger tires as cheap as possible. . I would greatly appreciate some help from those of you who have had this done. . . please dont leave me hangin. . .

Old 10-08-2006, 06:18 PM
sledneck16 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok well my bars are cranked a little under 2 inches and i'll tell you--it corners much flatter one thing that i havent done is get an alignment--and my tires show it--but its ok i have a set of MTRs coming anyways[8D]

one thing you will need to do for the full 2' crank is pull the droopstops out and cut them down (about half off) other wise your wheels will spend some time in the air when you go over bumps!

good luck---oh and keep an eye on your balljoints and cv shafts!

Old 10-08-2006, 06:26 PM

So, if i get it aligned, the tires wont wear eneven? I don't understand what you are talking about trimming.. . . . What size tires do you run or your blazer?