Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Tranny swap?! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/tranny-swap-2997/)

swartlkk 03-31-2006 08:55 AM

RE: Tranny swap?!

It was not necessary to post ALL of those descriptions. A simple link to Car-Parts.com would have sufficed.

Only problem that I have with going to auto recyclers like what is listed on Car-Parts.com is that if they are too far away, you cannot return to the vehicle you are pulling parts off of to get other linkages etc. First thing I would do would be to start calling your local wrecking yards. Atleast this way, if you find what you need, you can zip in and pickup whatever you may have missed the first time. If working with a yard that is 1hr or more away, this becomes very time consuming... Or even worse, if the yard has to ship you the parts... Not fun.

Good Luck!

blazingsadle 03-31-2006 12:19 PM

Checking locals is what I did. Already made my problem perfectly clear.

There seems to be a second problem and its showing itself in all the prices. A running blazer with a clean title and in the 92 and before range will often sell for a lot less than some of the trannies I see listed here. Yes a couple were reasonable.

Was it a certain selection that came up with all 1995 trucks? The price might be real cheap for an 89? Dont know.

I do know that If I punch in transmission I will get a price for a transmission. See my previous posts about attempting to get donor car. A complete system is needed. Jerking a tranny is not what this is about.

How many kinds of sticks were made and how well do they interchange with each other? Heck on my 2.5 I had two choices. Luckily all I lost was my speedo. And if I had paid attention, I could have converted that one over. From what I have read, there were at least two bolt patterns to the rear of the bell-housing alone. (not the front when discussing only one engine at a time) The bell housing and tranny have to bolt together. Even with the little ones I know of at least two different bolt patterns. Also at least two manufacturers for one of the bolt patterns. A complete system is needed. A complete car is needed.

Is the computer the same on a stick shift? I dont know yet? I do know a stick doesnt have lockup? I do know that if changing out an electronic version of an automatic, the stick doesnt use that trash. Bet a whole car might be real helpful?

I need to add that car parts . com is on my favorites list and I have used it. A good for instance is that an auto tranny will go complete for around 300 used. Thats in my neighborhood, using car parts . com The second very clear thing to remember is that you can also purchase a donor vehicle right out of some-ones yard for $100. For an automatic anyway.

The approach being used to find parts by simply going to a junk yard or e-bay is a great one for people willing to spend more than they need to. I see one more thing. Being that Blazers were under discussion; I saw a blazer or two on that list. One was even a four cylinder. My point is that the odds of actually finding a DONOR car/truck of the right variety, for a reasonable price, are very, very slim.

A person at home in his own shop needs to be able to stare and compare. If you happen to be a professional and can take all these parts and assemble them from pure memory, it might be better to order brand new parts or look for crash cars of the VERY LATEST variety. This is not the point of view I look from.

KA3AX 04-01-2006 02:11 AM

Thanks for your interest everyone!

I am sorry I didn't mention in my post: I have a 1997 Blazer LS 4x4 auto, it is a 4.3L V6. So they didn't come 5-speed and 4x4??? I thought ZR-2's did have 5-speed trannys and ZR-2's are all 4x4, right?

Thanks again

blazingsadle 04-01-2006 11:53 AM

If your LS has the same AUTOTRACK option that was available for the ZR2 you cant use a stick. Yes plenty of later model blazers with sticks, but non went with autotrack. Yes if you DONT have autotrack you can change over. Be aware that with model changes the locations of minor parts, and even the tranny models might well be different.

The stick was listed as standard and dealership basic marketing was to NOT sell with anything but automatic and/or autotrack. The option was popular with the factory and dealers so they could eliminate the problems associated with folks driving stick shifts that didnt know how and would destroy their cars. The dealers thus sold as few as possible of those cars. That is what is meant by factory policy. The price went up accordingly, making GMAC even happier.

You will not be doing a simple tranny swap. Be sure to find ALL the parts for the change from one vehicle as close as possible to yours. Have you checked to make sure the front will be using the same part with a different transmission? (gearing and shaft) I dont know. I do know that if it were an older style truck that the gearing might be different, the driveshafts might be different, the mounting locations and all mounting parts be different and so on.