General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

transmission prob.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:24 PM
bongabilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transmission prob.

I just joined so i dont know if this type of problem was previously posted, but my transmission has been acting kinda funny....... whenever I first start it up and put it in drive the first gear seems real longer (longer than it should be)........ when it finally shifts into 2nd gear it shifts real hard....... after the car warms up to normal opperating temperature the problem is less noticable........ I drive a 1997 blazer with 4wd........ if any of you guys can help I would really appreciate it

Old 02-22-2006, 06:32 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: transmission prob.

check to see if its full of trannny fluid, also might want to flush it and replace filter.

Old 02-23-2006, 09:26 AM
lovetheblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

When the MAF is dirty or bad, the car will shift badly...also check the tps...

Old 02-23-2006, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I am having the same problem, altough mine only happens when its between 40-50 degrees outside. Although this time the SES light is staying on.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:07 PM

Ok well Im gonna try to clean my MAF sensor......... whats this tps your talking about........ the fluid level is good so thats fine.......... Im not getting any SES light on my cluster....... Im stumped

Old 02-24-2006, 04:34 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

TPS stands for Trottle position sensor and it is bolted to your intake.

I think my problem is related to a temp sensor. Just need the time to research it.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:43 PM

so i cleaned the maf sensor and that didnt solve my problem........ the truck still has a rough idle and shifts hard like before......... do you think if i replaced the fluid and filter that might help........ oh someone told me that this kit worked wonders on their transmission "transgo shift correction kit," do and you guys know anything about this kit

Old 03-01-2006, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran

Is that the pinless accumulators? If so, yes. It eliminates the excess fluid loss in teh accumulaotrs and offers stiffer shifts.

Poor engien performace will affect the tranny. Make sure you engine is running properly.

Old 03-01-2006, 05:38 PM

So I found two kits one says it fixes "Trouble light and rough shifts. Erratic pump slide bounce that wears out pump and valves. No lock-up or 4th and code 1870. Forward an low/reverse clutch burnup; 1-2 bump- double bump; slide bump; delayed reverse engagement hot." Then I also found the pinless accumulator kit......... which one is the kit Im most likely looking for? Also, how difficult is this work, I'm a novice mechanic and only have common tool? If not how much labor do you think it would be? Im also going to be doing a tune up and running a seafoam treatment this weekend to maybe help out my engine. Thanks Hanr3.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:20 PM
BF Veteran

I still think your problem lies in the engine. You need to get it running right first, that will take care of the shift problem you have.

Cracking open the transmission is not for the faint of heart, and not as simple as a tune up. Pretty easy to change the filter, however the only thing to plug up a tranny filter are tranny parts. Your better off installing a tranny pan drain plug and replacing the 4-5 quarts of tranny fluid once per year. That is the best maintenance for your tranny.

As for upgrades, you need someone who knows whats going on to help you. Modifiing the tranny is not a do-it-yourself project, with few exceptions, like the Corevette servo, and some aftermarket wiring to change shift points. Altough for the money, th dealer can change your shift points for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission prob.