General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Trick to removing a broken wheel stud?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:33 AM
Banned
Blasir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trick to removing a broken wheel stud?

I have one broken stud in the rear wheel. I took the drum off and tried to knock the remaining stud piece out with a small sledge hammer and a punch, but it doesn't budge and I don't want to warp anything. Anyone removed one of these? Pulling the new stud in looks easy enough with my lug nut and large wrench.

Old 10-01-2006, 04:21 AM
booblinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Trick to removing a broken wheel stud?

You can do one of two thing. First is heat it up, and then spray it with pb blaster and then try to hit it. or use a ball joint c clamp tool thing and press it out.

brandon

Old 10-01-2006, 10:12 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Beat it!!!!!

Old 10-01-2006, 10:55 PM
Banned

Well thanks Billie Jean but you are NOT my lover!!!!
ORIGINAL: Hanr3

Beat it!!!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 12:55 AM
winterride is an unknown quantity at this point

you could always drill it out too. i had to do that with a seabring that i had. it had rotors and not drums but i imagine the concept is the same.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:53 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Blasir

I have one broken stud in the rear wheel. I took the drum off and tried to knock the remaining stud piece out with a small sledge hammer and a punch, but it doesn't budge and I don't want to warp anything. Anyone removed one of these? Pulling the new stud in looks easy enough with my lug nut and large wrench.
Well I would recomend a large enough C-clamp with a 3/4" socket on the back side and tighten it up until it comes out, IT HAS TO MOVE!!!!

Old 10-02-2006, 03:55 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

A 2 or 3 pound sledge or ball peen hammer and a sharp (like you mean it) WHACK.
Just hit the stud, you wont warp the axle. Forget the punch, just use a hammer.

Old 10-04-2006, 12:47 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Beat it!!!!!

You could drill it out, if you have an hour to spend. Thats hardened steel young man. You will need a couple of carbide drill bits to drill it out, and you should start with a samller size and work your way up. Been there done it, dont ever plan to do it agian. Bought an impact gun that will twist the lugs completely off. Then it only takes a couple of good stiff whacks to beat it out.

I prefer to beat it out. But the its up to you. Muscle up big boy.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:18 AM
Banned

I did it the easy way. Paid to have it done at a garage in 10 minutes and 56 seconds.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:00 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's not the easy way that is the expensive way out...LOL

Quick Reply: Trick to removing a broken wheel stud?