General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Weird noise when shut down

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:14 AM
2dr5spdblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weird noise when shut down

Everytime i turn off my 2000 blazer it sounds like deisels. you know... the "gun" "GUN" "gun" noise that deisels make when they stop the engine. Well my blazer is making that noise and its starting to scare me. Because i had 4 people tell me my timing is off. I hooked my truck up to my OBD2 reader and it read clean as a whisle. WTF is that noise!!??!!?? I'll try to get a sound clip up tomorrow after work.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Weird noise when shut down

hmmmmm..... I would have said the timing too.

Old 10-01-2006, 01:42 PM

anyone else have any answers??? because if its the timing im just going to say **** this motor and im going ls1

Old 10-01-2006, 02:57 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

sounds like timing to me to....not that im against it but why u wanna put an ls1 in there?? they are expensive

Old 10-02-2006, 03:58 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Generally if an older car dieseled it was timing, and you could hook up a light and loosen the distributor bolt and rotate it to fix it. But with timing now controlled by the computer, moving the distributor will do nothing. The timing is now handled by the Ignition Control Module and other pieces.

So it is related to this subsystem. But you need to check all the components of a normal tune up to see if a part is working not like it should. Sometimes takes more than a code reader.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:04 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I've heard a sound like that from a muffler before. The baffles were loose. Probably easier to diagnose if we could hear it though.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: jagblazer01

sounds like timing to me to....not that im against it but why u wanna put an ls1 in there?? they are expensive
Because I'd be the first person in Omaha, Nebraska with a 2dr 5speed LS1 LS blazer. I just thought it might be an original idea where i live. So i can own those ****ing ricers.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Starting Member
Brian J. Lesko is an unknown quantity at this point

I had an old Bronco that "dieseled." The timing was dead on. I was told that it had a bad lifter. I got rid of it before I ever got a chance to find out for sure. Not sure if that was the problem or not. Just an idea.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 AM
EkStreem G is an unknown quantity at this point

Well to be honest with you i'd tell you that it's the timing just so you can drop an LS1 in there.....I hate when I write what i'm thinking.
But, it's most likely just that. Your timing is retarded a bit. How many miles does that thing have??

Click Me!!!!

Old 10-04-2006, 01:49 AM

its got 85K. I think that the previous owners sprayed on this motor. How do i advance the timing?

Quick Reply: Weird noise when shut down