General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what type of scan tool to buy?

Old 09-18-2006, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member
gmaltese is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what type of scan tool to buy?

hello all... i have a 98 blazer 4.3l what type of scan tool to buy, i want to read codes and see things like temp, o2, etc

Old 09-18-2006, 04:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: what type of scan tool to buy?

What is your price range and do you have a laptop?

Old 09-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Beginning Member

yes i have a lap top and i was thinking about $100-150.00
i have an old OTC2000 that i use on my 86 buick, but i can't use it on my blazer

Old 09-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I have never really liked the hand held scan tools because of their lack of functions unless you get up into the Snap-On or Tech2 realms (a few grand right there). I am VERY happy with my AutoEnginuity scanner for the simple fact that the package I choose allows me to access the enhanced powertrain system as well as airbag, abs, climate control, transmission control, etc... systems of any GM vehicle '96-Current. It has already saved me more than I spent on it with the issues that I have had over the past few months on my Bonneville.

Before my AutoEnginuity, I had an AutoTap scanner. I absolutely loved the customization aspect of this scanner, but it could only read the enhanced powertrain information (no abs, no climate control, no BCM, no airbag, etc). I just wish I had the money to keep both of these scanners because the Autotap was easier to use when diagnosing problems with the engine.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:54 AM
mandi is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 98 and have had my SES light on for 2 years now. Everyone who had the little $150 hand held one plug computers only came up with a "multiple cyl. missfire" changed everything involved from the plugs in the motor to the rotor and cap. Then two weeks ago I ran into a friend who knew a friend and said he had a computer he spend $2000 on. Once I met him with the truck he had to put in the information from my truck in to the computer then find the "key" specificly for my truck then read the codes and found the mass air flow sensor and air intake temp sensor were my problems. So im sure it all depends on the problem and where it is coming from as to what computer you should use. Hopfully one of the guys reading this will understand the exact computer im taking about!

Old 09-19-2006, 02:08 AM
93s15jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

i like the genesys scanner that i used when i worked for monro muffler. i liked the snap on one too, but i think the genesys one was the best one i have used so far. it had a sweet 3 or 4 inch color screen.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Administrator

My AutoEnginuity scanner can do everything that a GM Tech2 scanner can do minus the PCM software updates or changes to modifiable parts of the PCM. If you can swing it right now, I'd recommend purchasing the base AutoEnginuity unit, then upgrading to the GM enhancement pack when you have more to spend. You won't be disappointed.

If the $100-150 limit is set in stone, we'll have to stick with the handheld units. Actron has some nice units. But at that price limit, you are really limited to a code reader, not a scanner.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:22 PM
Beginning Member

i'm at your AUTO ENGINUITY site and i see USB or SERIAL scanner, what one would be the best, i would think the USB myself.
i like what i see

Old 09-20-2006, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Mine is USB and I wouldn't consider it any other way. So far I am very happy with my AutoEnginuity scanner. I loved the customizability of my AutoTap, but it was just way too limited.

If you have any further questions on either the AutoTap or AutoEnginuity, please let me know.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:58 PM
Beginning Member
s10blazed is on a distinguished road

Is there software that will interact with an OBDII system without the need of special hardware? I have a OBDII -> Serial cable from my HyperTech programmer. I have a laptop with a serial port. I would most like software that would let me see real time info of sensors and still do basic stuff like read codes or change gear ratio/tire size (like the HyperTech does).

Can anyone give me any links or info?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what type of scan tool to buy?