General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

what year/ engine size is this ??????

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:39 AM
black_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what year/ engine size is this ??????

just give your best quess on year....
and someone ought to know what engine this is....hopefully

Old 03-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: what year/ engine size is this ??????

I'd say its a 87-88 with either the 2.8 or a 4.3

Old 03-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to say '87-'90 2.8L.

The dash was changed to the one pictured in '86. But, in '87 they changed the 2.8L over to a single serpentine belt. I am confident that it is a 60* V6 which, if it is the original engine, it would be a 2.8L.

The 4.3L was not available in an s-series blazer until '88 and being a 90* v6, it is much wider than the 2.8L and other 60* V6's.

In '91 they redesigned the grill to be one peice.

Beyond that year range, I'd have to really scrutinize photos to tell what exact year it is and that is assuming that there are any differences in that range..

Old 03-29-2006, 03:01 PM
fzr confused is an unknown quantity at this point

lol, i am not laughing at you im laughing at the situation. i too asked this question last week when i bought mine (old man i bought it from didnt know much about it anymore, he is getting forgetful), lol (again, not laughing at the old man). as for years, i couldnt tell ya, but i agree, it is not the 4.3. the alt is on the drivers side and the a/c is on the pass side on the 4.3. well, that is how i was told mine is a 4.3. the interior looks exactly like my 91, but im not sure if the 2.8 was offered past 90 with 4wd....id listen to 1 of the ppl above me on the year part

Old 03-30-2006, 12:04 AM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

its definitely the 2.8L, the alternator, AC, and upper radiator hose are in the wrong place to be the 4.3. I would say it is 87 or 88. Doesnt appear to have the digital dash like the newer ones, and it has the multi piece grill. Is it fuel injected? If so, its 86 or newer. Cant see the serpentine belt diagram on the shroud sticker, looks like only one belt.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:40 PM
ShadowHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there a VIN number anywhere on the engine? If so, you can use the online tool that I use to look up general info:

http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm

G'Luck!
Rex S.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there are numerous areas where you can look to find the year and engine... A VIN decoder is the easiest way to find both. The emissions label on the core support (shown in the bottom of the last picture) will tell you the engine size.

I believe the poster was instigating a guessing game. From the choice of camera angles, he has eliminated the easy clues. The first pic does not include the drivers corner of the front where an engine badge would be. Same is true for the passenger rear corner, where another engine badge should be.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I think swart is correct several times over, and so are some others.
Guessing game. Sounda about right.

I would also have to agree the it is '87-'91. It has the 2putt8 60*V6, manual t-case, and same interior as my '87. Get a close up of that drivers side taillight and read the year in red.

This is a '91 so his is earlier.

Notice the grill and mirrors in this pic of my '87?

Don't go by the bumper on the '87 in the above pic. The bumper is off the '91. I'll have to see if I can find a good bumper pic of the '87 to compare.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:50 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

What is the prize for the correct guess?

Old 04-02-2006, 06:21 PM
black_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

i was looking at it to buy,.... but i have now, its an 87 with a 2.8l

Quick Reply: what year/ engine size is this ??????