General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wired Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 12:11 AM
oldchevron62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wired Noise

Hey folks im new to this and i got a problem with my Blazer. Its a 2004 Chevrolet Blazer Xtream with 68xxx. The deal is that when i take off and get to about 30 mph i hear a noise that sound like a prop job plane. It not very loud at all and It has the same tone all the way to up to top speed and doesnt get any louder. I thought it might be a wheel bearing but the steering feels tight. It drives stright as well. I Thought it might be the pinion bearing in the rear so i jack up the rear of the blazer and had my bro drive up to 40mph and i didnt hear no noise from there. Although i check the fluid in the rear and was low. I stuck my finger down the hole and i didnt feel fluid so i filled it till it poured out and took off and the noise is stil there. Any tips or tricks would be appreacted.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wired Noise

If your brother drove it up to 40 and you didn't hear it, that tells me its coming from the front. Most likely its something in the bearing/wheel/tire area. Does it keep going at that speed on, or does it go away then come back when you shift?

BTW you might want to wear a helmet next time you get under a car thats doing 40 and not moving.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:54 PM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point

I think I may have the same problem as you.

I get a hum at around 30 mph that sounds like it's coming from the front end if I'm sitting in the front seat but sounds like the rear end if I'm sitting in the back seat, to me it sounds a lot like when you hear a 4x4 with agressive knobby tires driving at highway speeds. I was waiting to do anything about the noise until I could get new tires because I didn't want to have to get an alignment then throw it out of whack with new tires, so I bought new tires and the noise didn't go away. Next, I'm going to replace the ball joints (I know they are bad) and get an alignment and see if the noise goes away. While I've got the wheels off I figure I'll check the wheel bearings (mine is a 2wd) and maybe I'll crawl under the truck and take a look at the U joints on the driveshaft. If your noise went away with the rear wheels off the ground that makes me think the noise isn't related to the drivetrain.

Old 11-13-2006, 06:34 PM
oldchevron62 is an unknown quantity at this point

It keeps going at that speed all the way up to gay 97. It sounds the same the same when it shifts and i doesnt go away when i put it in neutral. It doesnt go away when i make a left turn or right either. It pisses me off because i only drive it only for long distance driving, otherwise its parked in the garage. I got an 82 plymonth Tc3 that i drive back and forth to work and to get beer. Also what kornphlake describe is sounds what problem i have. I just dont want to buy something that im not sure is going to fix it.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:26 PM

Give me a couple of weeks to get the work done on mine and I'll let you know what I find. If I don't bump this thread after thanksgiving send me a PM or email and I'll let you know if the work I did made any differance. My blazer is a '99 and I've got almost twice the miles as yours so I'm not sure it's an apples to apples comparison, but it may give you an idea of where to start.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:41 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

worked on a Darango that had a simular issue

Turned out to be the front Axle (carrier) The pinion seal had gone bad, but theirs was dry already so no signs were shown.

One day they towed it in and yea, the Axle was toasted (pinion bearing let loose and busted it up good. This was when it was brought to me) before the dif. went they had several shops look it over, and no one could figure it out.

But from what they explaned to me, sounds like the same thing. So check your seals on your front Axle and ensure its full of fluid also. Then take it for a spin and see if there is any changes or leaks.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:49 PM

I got the front end work done on my blazer and it turned out needing one new wheel bearing assembly really bad, I replaced the other because it was marginal. 2 new wheel hub assemblies, 4 ball joints and $600 later it's as quiet as ever. Again my Blazer is 2wd so there are only a couple of components that can make noise, if you've got 4wd there's a lot more going on in the front end that can make noise.

Old 11-27-2006, 12:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow! Glad you got it fixed and let us know what the cause of the problem was!

And yeah, there is a WHOLE lot less going on in the front of a 2wd truck than there is in a 4wd!