General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:27 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wiring

Wasn't sure where to post this, feel free to move it if necessary.

I was wondering if anyone had messed with the electrical system on a 2.8 square body. My instrument panel lights have been touch and go since I got the truck (hit a bump, the lights go out, lights dim and brighten back up, etc) but I've started a new trend of blowing tailight fuses which leaves me with NO dash lights and no tailights. I replaced the fuse today on my lunch break and as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot tonight it blew again. I rode the brake pedal till I got out of town, then hit my blinkers. Drove about 4 miles with the blinkers on and as soon as I pulled in the driveway they quit on me. I now have no blinkers, no brakelights, no tailights, and no dash lights.

I was thinking headlight switch until my tailights gave out. I'm gonna replace the bulbs, the fuses, and the headlight switch and see what happens. If they blow again I'm gonna have to take the dash off and start tracing wires. Anyone that has any experience with this, feel free to offer any advice you feel is needed.

Old 08-22-2005, 12:30 AM
Retired Admin
zero psi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Wiring

good luck buddy! sounds like you got a short somewhere.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Phatboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't forget not to overlook the turn signal switch assembly. All of those lights you mentioned run through that switch. If your blazer has high mileage on it chances are that switch has been used plenty. I have come across weird elecrical prob's like that before and have had it turn out being the switch. An easy (and cheap) way to test it is to buy one at the junk yard or if you know someone with an old one. Unplug yours under the dash and plug that used one in and check to see if things are working. That way you are not tearing your column down if it does not work. good luck.

Old 08-23-2005, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Are your tailights and dash lights on the same fuse?

My initial thought is a loose ground wire. Look under the dash on the drivers side. There is also a ground wire under the carpeted passengers firewall.

Replace the headlight switch? It controls all the lights.

I once had a '93 Astro van. I lost all my dash lights. When I took it out I noticed that there is a plastic form molded thingy that the dash fits into. No wiring sockets that plug in. I cleaned all the electrical contacts with a pencil eraser (old AFX race car trick). I ended up having to tape thin pieces of cereal box cardboard behind the plastic molded thingy so the contacts made contact. It worked and I never had that problem again.

Post up what you do and hte result. We'll help you get this fixed.

By the way, welcome to the world.[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 04-06-2006, 08:37 AM
zilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Got a similar problem on my 85. Have no dash lights or tail lights at all! Will have to dig into it this weekend, but was looking for some ideas. At least I have some areas to start with.