General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

wiring help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 10:57 PM
slicer4559 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wiring help needed

hi all, does anyone have or know of any who has a good wiring diagram of how to wire in a 16inch single electric fan using a 30amp relay, and a toggle switch?, i'v got all the goodies, now i need some help puttin it together, so i'd appreciate the help all. if its any easier you can also email me at my yahoo email. b_keller46@yahoo.com

Thanks

Brian

Old 06-11-2006, 10:23 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: wiring help needed

The relay should have a wiring diagram on the package it came in.

If you don't understand it or cannot find it. Post up and I will see if I can find one out in the garage.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 AM

nope, no diagram or nothin, the only tihng it does is tell you which ones load, battery, ground and switch, and thats why i'm stuck. i'll give you a list of what i have. i have the relay, 2 wire temp sensor, toggle switch, all wires, and the fan, oh!, and a 30amp fuse holder to put in line. i just need to figure out how to put it all together to make it work properly.
Thanks for the help Hanr3.

Brian

Old 06-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some information on relays and other good stuff: Car Audio Electrical Components - Cont.

So now how do you want to wire this thing up? Do you want it to be controlled by the switch, by the temp sensor, or both - temp sensor first, but fan override? Is there logic to use the temp sensor (ie. fans turn on at XXX temp, turn off at YYY temp)? Where did you buy the setup from? Got a link that we can follow for more information?

Let us know!

Old 06-12-2006, 04:19 PM

well, i want to use both the toggle and the temp sensor, it'll be controlled by the sensor first, with the ability to override it when i need to. i have a standard 4contact 30amp relay, a toggle with supply volts,on acc., earth grnd, a 2 wire sensor that goes through the radiator core, all wiring and a 16inch 2 wire fan. just not sure how to hook it all up. i can rebuild an engine no problem, but wiring is a whole different ball game....lol. thanks for your help swartlkk.

Brian

Old 06-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I need a bit more information about the temp sensor... Does it take a +12v input and switch the output (ie. no voltage when under a certain temp and +12v thru above that temp?

A single speed fan (2 wire is most likely single speed) should be fairly easy to wire up. I just need to know more information...

Old 06-12-2006, 08:49 PM

i took some pics of the parts i have, but i cant post them for some reason, i could email them to you. they should help to figure things out.
thanks swartlkk.

Brian

Old 06-12-2006, 11:57 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

One way to wire it.

Draw power inside the cab from your cigarette lighter or a ignition switched source like the radio. Run that to the switch, "supply volts". Sounds like your switch has a light on it (ground wire), run the ground wire from the switch to the dash metal frame or to the body ground under the passengers carpet on the firewall. Run the "on acc." wire through the firewall (radio antenna grommet on passengers firewall under carpet) out to the temp sensor. Run the other lead on the temp sensor to the relay.

Run the ground on the relay to a ground on the body/frame of the truck.
Run a 12volt power off the battery, install the inline 30amp fuse between the battery and the relay battery terminal.
Run the load wire on the relay to the fan, and the other wire on the fan to the ground.

Make certain your fan is turning the correct direction, if it is going backwards, reverse the wires, might be best to test it first, or if it has positive and negative markings, follow them. Positive + will come from the relay, - will go to the ground.

Look at the temp sensor, see if it has +/- markings as well. If so, the positive will come from the switch, and the negative will go to the relay.

Wish I could draw a diagram.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:40 AM

Hanr3, excluding the diagram....lol, you've helped out a lot, i appreciate it. Thanks.

Brian

Old 06-13-2006, 01:43 AM
BF Veteran

Your welcome. I hope.