Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

4.3L Blazer Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:16 AM
FireInMe17 is on a distinguished road
Default 4.3L Blazer Exhaust

I'm picking up a 1991 S10 Blazer with a 4.3L in it. The truck sounds pretty good right now with the exhaust thats on it, but I think I might want it to be a little louder.

I'm thinking either Flowmaster 40 series or Super 44 and a hollowed out cat, or maybe even a powerstick style chambered exhaust.

http://classicchambered.com/

You can get them there. Sorta like the old turbo tubes that are now long gone. My friend has real original turbo tubes on his 86 Mustang GT and I'll tell ya, they are loud as hell and sound awesome. But thats on a 5.0L. I don't know how they would sound on a 4.3L, and he has headers and the whole deal, h-pipe. This Blazer as far as I know has a stock exhaust on it.

What do some of you guys have hooked up to your 4.3L's? I'm looking for some input. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:16 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

Don't have a Blazer with a modded exhaust yet (buddy and I are working on it) but I have put on a Thrush Welded muffler onto a 4.3 Silverado. It sounds like a V8 idling and has a throaty tone when you hit the gas. You can tell it's a V6 when you hit the gas, there's no escaping that no matter what you do, but it's about as close to a V8 sound as you'll get, you'll confuse people who don't know exactly what a V8 sounds like. Only thing is on that truck the cat is breaking up inside so it rattles so that takes away from the sound. Instead of using the 2.25" tailpipe I wanted better flow and sound so I went with a 2.5" pipe out the side in front of the axle. I think with anything but a stock cat and that'd be too loud. I recommend a highflow cat as a gutted cat is illegal, so get a Thunderbolt highflow for $40 and be done with it, flows and sounds like a straight pipe. I say get that Thrush, sounds like a Flow 40 but less than half the price, then get a 2.5" tailpipe and cut it off at the bumper so it's hidden, i'm not a fan of a single tailpipe sticking out.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Yeah its illegal to have a gutted cat, but they don't check them here in PA so you can get away with it. But I was thinking about a thrush too but we'll see where things go. The thing already has a kinda throaty sound to it and I can't really tell if its becuase there is an exhaust on it or what. Im picking it up Saturday night so I'll find out then. I just want something that soumds beasty to keep up with what some of my buddies have that they take offroad. My one friend has an 85 Scottsdale with a 400 diesel with stacks that sounds beasty and my one other friend has a 91 Toyota jacked up with like 35" tires on it that sounds amazing for it only being a 3.0L. Wish I had clips to show you lol

Old 11-04-2010, 02:11 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

I threw on a cherry bomb that I picked up from pep boys for cheap as hell and it sounds better than any other exhaust I have heard on a blazer... It sounds like a beast...But still like 88vic said there is no getting away from the v6 sounds when you get on it. I still have a pretty deep sound when I get on it and it definatley screams but it just doesnt sound like a v8 with the same exhaust except at cruising speeds... My favorite is driving through my neighborhood because I drive the speed limit and that keeps the rpms down to like 1500 and man does it rumble at that low of a rpm it is deep as hell and sets off alarms....lol

Old 11-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by dimone545
I threw on a cherry bomb that I picked up from pep boys for cheap as hell and it sounds better than any other exhaust I have heard on a blazer... It sounds like a beast...But still like 88vic said there is no getting away from the v6 sounds when you get on it. I still have a pretty deep sound when I get on it and it definatley screams but it just doesnt sound like a v8 with the same exhaust except at cruising speeds... My favorite is driving through my neighborhood because I drive the speed limit and that keeps the rpms down to like 1500 and man does it rumble at that low of a rpm it is deep as hell and sets off alarms....lol
SOLD!!! Thats perfect lol Did you buy the Cherry bomb glass pack or a muffler? And I know I won't get away from the V6 sound, but it will sound a lot better than my 3.1L in my Camaro without headers.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Im sure you already bought an exhause but i just saw that you asked, sorry.... I got the glasspack..hope thats what you went with cause I still love the way it sounds and I think by your post that you will to..

Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 PM

No I didn't get anything yet, turns out I waited another 3 weeks for that Blazer to find out the kid couldn't sell it, I picked up an 89 with the same engine thats fully loaded and I got it cheaper and its got wayyy more than that other Blazer had.

I was thinking about the glass pack versus just a muffler the other day. Is there really that much of a sound difference? My main reason for going with a muffler is that I hear glass packs only last about a year.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Starting Member
97CountryJukeboxLt is on a distinguished road

I like my dynomax super turbo cat back muffler+exhaust kit, and 3" flowmaster 30 series tip
(this exhaust set up was cheappp and easy) not only is it legal, it sounds like a 6 and i'm damn proud of my 6 cylinder, i would how ever enjoy having a custom like we have on the silverado, dual exhaust with magnaflow stainless tips

I'd enjoy the bluh bluh bluh bluh bluh bluh idle sound

Old 12-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by FireInMe17
I was thinking about the glass pack versus just a muffler the other day. Is there really that much of a sound difference? My main reason for going with a muffler is that I hear glass packs only last about a year.
If that Blazer has a good cat, keep it on. It's not restricting flow enough to notice on the street. Besides that without a decent muffler, in my opinion, it'll be too loud and annoying. I say if it has a good cat, go with a glasspack, a cheap one like a Flowtech or Summit Racing. With both of those it'll be loud but not too loud, definitely get you noticed. If it has a bad/clogged/no cat, go with a good muffler like a Thrush, the Turbo to keep it quiet when cruising but loud when you step on it, or the Welded for a more agressive sound, a good bit louder. Do not go with no cat and a glasspack, that'll be super loud and annoying and sound like a ricer bigtime.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:10 PM

I have a brand new cat installed and the glasspack sounds grrrrrrrrrrrrreat... Oh and glasspacks dont only last a year, the actual pack burns out but it still makes a nice sound once its all burned out, pretty sure mine has been burned out by now Ive had it on a while

Quick Reply: 4.3L Blazer Exhaust