Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

91 s10 blazer exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 PM
mxryder12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 91 s10 blazer exhaust

anybody no a good exhaust system that will give a little power and sound? i have a gutted cat and was wondering if a katback was a good system

Old 11-29-2006, 05:54 PM
FImports is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 91 s10 blazer exhaust

YOU GUTTED OUT THE CAT.DID YOU WELD IT BACK ON OR WHAT DID IT CHANGE THE SOUND ON YOUR PIPES.DID YOU DO ANYTHING TO YOUR INTAKE

Old 11-29-2006, 06:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please be aware that it is a federal crime to remove the catalytic converter from a vehicle originally equipped with one.

With that said, you may be doing more harm than good if you didn't line the cat housing with a section of pipe to contain the exhaust flow. Allowing the exhaust to expand in the left over cat chamber will induce turbulence as well as cool the flow. Both of which will result in slower exhaust flow.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:22 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

is it a federal crime?? I always thought it was state laws... because I know alot of people that run exhaust on vehicles with no cat here in KY.... the one that pops into my mind is a 78 f150 with a 429 cobra jet.... nice truck...

Old 11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That may be for a '78, but when catalytic converters became federally mandated in 1990 (IIRC), that's when things changed. If I remember things correctly, the EPA Clean Air Act amendments in 1990 which is what mandated the use of catalytic converters on all passenger vehicles under 8500# GVWR. In 1994, the EPA released a memorandum entitled "Tampering and Defeat Device Civil Penalty Policy For Notices of Violations" in which applied a fine to anyone found to have tampered with or removing a major emissions control system. And I do believe that the memorandum covered any vehicle originally equipped with an emissions device whether that be an air pump or early adoption of the catalytic converter.

Now, how much is this penalty enforced...? Not a lot, but all it takes is one person to call it in and you'll be pulling out your wallet.

At one point in time I know there was a reward for turning in major violators. So if you noticed a certain shop gutting catalytic converters or removing them completely and turned them in, you would collect a reward of something like $500 IIRC... I don't know if that is still true or it could just be a myth, but...

Old 11-30-2006, 04:47 AM
KFC_Or_Bust is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that's pretty *comment removed*, if someone wants to do a favor for a buddy and gut their cat *comment removed* let em! No cats is the way to go, the O-Zone can *comment removed*.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - removed vulgar comments

Old 11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Yeah, because catalytic converters actually hurt performance SO much...

Old 11-30-2006, 03:24 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

I gutted my buddy's cat once.... boy was his mom p*ssed...hahahahahaha j/k

Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 AM
FImports is an unknown quantity at this point

how about a universal cat.what do you guys think.............thanks