Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Is the air intake..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007 | 11:27 PM
|
Starting Member
mudsliner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the air intake..

Is the air intake box needed? im gettin a new cold air system and it says i can get one with or without the box? so do i need the box?

Old 04-16-2007 | 11:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Is the air intake..

A true cold air intake must have something to isolate the incoming air from the heated air in the engine compartment.

Old 04-16-2007 | 11:46 PM
speeddemon560 is an unknown quantity at this point

Volant makes probably the best cold air intake available for the 4.3l Blazer.
Here's one on eBay.

Old 04-16-2007 | 11:57 PM
|
Starting Member
mudsliner is an unknown quantity at this point

here the one im am lookin at getting it say i can get it with out the box or with which would yall say to get?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...002037/c-10101

Old 04-17-2007 | 12:06 AM
hockeykid15 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would get the one with the box. i bought a simple "cold air intake" off ebay and i dont have a box for it but i am going to make somehting out of sheet metal to isolate if from the engine heat. it will be more effective with a box

Old 04-17-2007 | 12:24 PM
Starting Member
BlazerSS is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard from people that the Volant is nice, but it doesnt pull much more air than the factory box with a simple drop-in K&N filter because it is pulling from the same 'choked' factory location. Does anyone have any real road-time fedback on the Volant kit?

Ithink I am going to copy this setup by Jon of the S10 community. http://meticulous-s10.itgo.com/custom3.html It is a true cold-air setup using the factory box with true RAM-AIR as well! Lots cheeper and a lot better hookup as long as you know what you are doing and have an hour and tools and materials to do it.

Your thoughts Blazer Forum? Kyle?

Old 04-17-2007 | 01:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ram-Air is a misnomer. To gain any measurable effect, you'd either need a scoop as large as the front of your truck, or be pushin' 100+mph. While the thought is sound, the simple fact is that the force of the air hitting that hole in the bumper is not compressing the air at all. Even with a scoop, it isn't compressing the air. The velocity of the air moving through the intake track is much higher than ground speed.

At 2000rpm, the a 4.3L motor with a volumetric efficiency of 100% (not gonna happen) requires 4.3L (0.151cuft) for every 2 revolutions of the motor. So that is 151CFM of air at 2000rpm. At 4000, you're talkin' 300CFM. Not having a true reading of the interior diameter of the intake pipe, I'll assume 3". Area = 0.050sqft. The intake velocity at 2000rpm will be about 35mph. At 4000rpm, 70mph.

With that being said, the restriction in the plumbing is what needs to be addressed. If the throttle blade is only slightly open to maintain 2000rpm, then the largest pipe restriction is the throttle blade. With measurements I made on the various components of the intake, I noted that the largest restrictions were the MAF sensor which people are using our stock sensor up over 300hp, followed closely by the throttle body itself.

Take from this what you will, but to me, as long as the intake has a source for ambient air, it will be much better than one that just is open to the engine bay.

And, yes, the stock air box can flow nicely with just a panel K&N. Just watch the MAF sensor for filter oil contamination.

Old 05-02-2007 | 11:17 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

wow.......too early to make any sense of that lol

my cats breath smells like cat food.....

Old 05-02-2007 | 06:32 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Also, all that plastic plumbing and joints an that home brew setup, don't make for very smooth air flow...

For ram-air, you'd need something setup to go through the hood, or across the entire front fascia of the bumper... Otherwise, it's not getting any forced air flow and any speed the average Blazer can reach...