Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Airaid intake for 1st gen S series

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Airaid intake for 1st gen S series

Swartlikk, since you are the mod for the headers intake and exhaust section, do with this what you see fit. Move it, whatever. If possible, combine it with the thread titled "Custom Cold Air Intake for TBI", or just link this one to it. Thank you very much
Joshua

Yeah, you read that right. As long as you are willing to do a little modifing to your pcv valve line, this airaid kit will work. It may not be exactly what you are looking for, so think about it before you actually tackle it because how good it turns out depends on how much effort you are willing to put in it and how you want it to lay out in the engine bay.

The kit I used is the #200-700 Airaid Jr. shotgun kit. It comes with;
TBI hat, cone filter, grommet, ring clamp, and some extras (stickers, warrenty cards, etc)
Some come with a straight hold down stud and nut, but my kit from JC whitney did not. The straight ones are for engines with a carb, but our factory z shapped hold down will work fine. If you read my thread, and also the thread intitled
"Custom Cold Air Intake for TBI" I think it will make things clear and simple.

You will need a few parts for your pcv connections so that everything functions right. I went to lowes and got a L shapped connector. It's a gold color and has ribs on each end for the hose connections, just go to the plumbing section. And also got a ring clamp just to make the pcv hose connection to this elbow sure. cost under $5 dollars and everything else you need is in the kit

Remove your factory air box, by removing the screws that hold the intake hose to the front of the blazer. Then undo the wingnut on top of the air box and lift up to remove the assembly. Next, remove the ring that connects the PCV line to your throttle body, like in the other thread. But just remove the ring and dissconnect the line from it. With this kit you can reuse the factory line. Also removal of this ring is neccesary because the hold down post is too short with it in place.

Slide the filter onto the TB hat and tighten it on with the ring clamp. The filter should come pre oiled and ready to go but check the box just incase. After putting the rubber ring on the TB, lower the assembly onto the rubber ring with the filter pointing to the passenger side. It is a tight fit, but position it how you feel comfortable. I have pictures at the bottom for an example of mine. Now is when the custom touch comes into play. Take your elbow double sided connector and put one end into the line going into the valve cover. Use a small ring clamp to secure it. Now insert to grommet from the air intake into the hole on the back of the hat. With the center of the grommet cut, insert the other end of your elbow connector into the TB hat. Check your connection so that it is firm and secure. Tighten down the wing nut, and you should be done! Almost too easy huh?

I choose to do this set-up with the PCV line because it seemed like the easiest solution at the time. If you wanted to extend that line to the other side of the TB, you could put the hat on backwards and the filter would be on the drivers side more like the factory set-up. I'd say you could run pipes to bring the filter down to get better air flow or whatever look you would like. Like I said, my example is the easiest way I could think of. The possiblities are endless and only limited to the amount of custom work you are willing to do.

Also I say this is for a body lifted truck, because my blazer has a 3 inch body lift. It looks like if you remove the ring as I stated, even factory I think it would fit. But the TB hat is five and 3/4th inches tall. If you are unsure if it will cause hood problems make a cardboard cut out that tall. Remove your intake and the PCV ring and set it on the TB and shut the hood. Good cardboard=go for it, crumpled=not for you. If you want the traditional "cold air intake" look, go for the caddilac TB hat like in the other thread. For a look like a fullsize truck or just something diffrent, give the Airaid kit a thought or two.

This kit is a universal kit for any 5 1/4 inch carb or throttle body. It will also work with the fullsize trucks with the 4.3 cause they have the same throttle body size. The red truck in my photo gallery has this intake and I thought if he has it, it should work for me! Do with this information what you need. Print it, link it, whatever. Just add credit to Blazerforum, S10forum, (for the other thread), 86blazer4x4 and myself. I'm just glad to maybe contribute something back to the site that has helped me so much.

Attached Thumbnails Airaid intake for 1st gen S series-air-intake-001.jpg   Airaid intake for 1st gen S series-air-intake-002.jpg   Airaid intake for 1st gen S series-air-intake-003.jpg