Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Airaid or K&N

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 PM
first chevy is on a distinguished road
Default Airaid or K&N

Hey I'm new to all this but I just bought my Blazer and it's my first vehicle. I already replaced all the necessary things on it like tires and the broken pitman arm. Now I'm looking at cold air intakes. I like the Airaid many because they are cheaper. Also they seem to have things posted on the website to back them selves up like dyno results and things like that. K&N doesn't have anything else but the dyno results. With K&N I feel like they haven't changed their product that much since they started and you really are paying for the name.

Please let me know what you guys think and even what you guys have.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:04 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Get a spectre intake with a heat shield. With the K&N intake your getting proven performance and yes the price is more but the quality of that product is like no other honestly.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Love your location....

Personally, there are research sites that have done every cold air intake .... and they were all between the 6/7 up to 11...... and there was no really best one.....

Old 07-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Beginning Member
gmcinister is on a distinguished road

ya go with the spectre. i had a k&n on my sonoma mintruck and i switched to the spectre and there were huge gains in mpg and exceleration speed. plus you can actually here more air suction. and on my truck the spectre was about a hudred buscks cheaper at autozone so thats a huge plus.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Get the Spectre kit, and then get a k&n cone filter to replace the Spectre one. I had a Spectre filter on my CAI, but switched over to a K&N and have better MPG and no noticable difference in HP between the two. Any HP difference is less than 5 probably, which is such a small amount that you cannot tell the difference, no matter how accurate you think your butt-dyno is. So in a nutshell, you get similar HP results with the K&N filter and better MPG.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Starting Member
Dbam31 is on a distinguished road

Okay so I have had K&N and AIRAID, personally I love K&N cuz it comes with the heatshield and the throttle tube is in design aspects basically a throttle body spacer, so a little more hp gain there..and I just trust K&N, I use it on my dirtbikes, all of my family's cars.

Although I had an airaid on my old jeep, and it was amazing! Sounded like I had a turbo!

If your tight on money get the airaid, but if you can burn a couple dollars get the k&n.

And I'm sorry you guy's, but I think Specter is some cheap foreign crap, I worked at a Hot Rod custom shop, and man we sold so much specter product, but it always broke and people would always return, my boss/owner ended up not carrying the product anymore....we called it chiny(like shiny) crap.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Wow, thanks a lot guys! I'm going to check out the Specter and ask the guys at the shop I work at what they think. But I think its going to be the K&N. I keep you guys posted.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Starting Member
blazerboy001 is on a distinguished road

Check out andysautosport.com and check out the intakes on there. they have volant which looks like a decent one and comes with a heatshield. it's a great site, has lots of stuff.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Thanks again guys, but my buddy at the garage told me I shouldn't get an intake just yet. I have a small oil leak which we think is coming from the intake. I'll check tomorrow where the dye we put last week is coming from. Also I have just about 160000 miles on it. He says I'll get too excited with all my new horse power that I'll kill the motor (something he did when he was a kid). Once school starts for me I'll fix the leak at school (save me about $400) and maybe do some extra engine work, just to keep it strong.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

FYI- a cold air intake wont give you enough HP to "kill the motor". Its only 5-11HP which in reality is barely noticable despite what anyone's butt-dyno may say. Just dont get too throttle happy over the intake's new sound and you'll be good.

Quick Reply: Airaid or K&N