Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

anyone ever hooked up their own exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:33 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default anyone ever hooked up their own exhaust??

i just got all my parts yesterday i have a super 44 muffler, stock size extension pipe, and a custom bent tail pipe that exits out the back. i am hangin my exhaust my self with the help of my dad (who is a mechanic and used to work on cars but works on forklifts now). i was just curious as to what kind or how many hangers i will need and stuff like that.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: anyone ever hooked up their own exhaust??

When I had my exhaust done, we used the existing factory hangers just where they were and everything was fine.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:25 PM

aight cool thanks!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you clamping or welding?
I figured it'd be hard to do your own exhaust if you didn't have a garage with many tools available, especially without the truck being on a lift.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just installed my dynomax cat back exhaust a couple weeks ago. It was very easy. There are only 3 bolts connecting the muffler/ext. to cat. I just heated them up and they stapped off. Then there are 2 hangers. 1 that wraps around the muffler, and one further behind the rear tire. Both are very to access. Only took me about an hour to get the old one off and new one on with basic garage tools.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:28 PM

clamping cuz i dont have a welder well i'm not really sure what all goes into putting on ur own exhaust my dad kinda knows and it doesnt look that hard so i'm kinda tryin it out

Old 02-01-2008, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I'd try to do my own just for experience, and to say I did it, but I've never welded, nor do I even own a welding tool of any type.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you use factory fit stuff there is nothing to it. If you are using generic bends, then cutting and welding pieces together, it gets more complicated. I have done it both ways and it is by far easier to do it with the factory fit stuff. You can also take what you have to an exhaust shop and have them bend up the same thing out of larger tubing as well as remake the hangers and weld them on. That may be an option. Just have them make the pipes a bit on the long side at either end to accommodate different muffler lengths, etc.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:12 PM

Yeah, the guy I went to cut a piece of pipe that accommodated for the different length of my FM 40. He put the original tail pipe on though, even though I asked for a new one.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:35 PM

ya when i talked to the muffler shop guy he showed me that there was a dual exhaust made for the s10 blazer and he said that i could just get the right side pipe so that it would be about $40 cheaper then having them bend it dont know if it will fit i'm tryin it out when my dad gets home

Quick Reply: anyone ever hooked up their own exhaust??