Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Benefits of cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 PM
howlr is on a distinguished road

Now, this Drycharger and precharger, are the completely different CAI Kits, or are the "socks" or sleeves to cover them up with?

Old 01-16-2011, 08:59 PM
howlr is on a distinguished road

and does it mean i cant go in the mud? like relatively deep mud (like 8-10")

Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

dry and pre chargers are socks that secure OVER the filter. any cone type filter, but it's made by K&N so use their size to determin the proper sock.

as for the mud, you can go through mud all day long. also, as stated here (i believe) water isn't really and issue unless you submerge the filter. either way one of those socks will help with splashes and quick dunks.

as for the mud, knock yourself out

Old 01-17-2011, 10:04 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 88Vic
When it says increased fuel economy, you won't see any gain because physically you can't gain from it. Sure it might make the engine work a bit less so it saves fuel but also cold air is more dense, so it requires more fuel so that the mixture isn't lean so it the end it evens itself out, you're not gonna gain anything becuase those two attributes cancel each other out.
For whatever reason my truck doesn't follow your logic, I dropped a noticeable amount of MPG's when I swapped back to my stock airbox for the winter... I drove more economically with the airbox after as well.

a CAI tends to work best along with an exhaust system (actual mandrel-bent catback is better than just a muffler replacement) and a PCM tune.

I would perform a search on both topics and decide the route you want to go.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

how can they draw in cooler air from on top of the engine? while our stock air box pulls it from behind the headlight as cool air is rushing in?

unless done properly, theyre warm air intakes imo. not even close to being worth the $300 they ask for them. I see it being less restrictive as the only upside, which is hardly worth what they ask.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by oktain
For whatever reason my truck doesn't follow your logic, I dropped a noticeable amount of MPG's when I swapped back to my stock airbox for the winter... I drove more economically with the airbox after as well.

a CAI tends to work best along with an exhaust system (actual mandrel-bent catback is better than just a muffler replacement) and a PCM tune.

I would perform a search on both topics and decide the route you want to go.
you probably dropped MPG from the cold, winter air, and your fuel system trying to compensate for it. our intakes do have air temperature sensors.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazinloud
how can they draw in cooler air from on top of the engine? while our stock air box pulls it from behind the headlight as cool air is rushing in?

unless done properly, theyre warm air intakes imo. not even close to being worth the $300 they ask for them. I see it being less restrictive as the only upside, which is hardly worth what they ask.

Calling them cold air intakes is a misnomer. I've never understood why people started doing that. The term makes me stabby

Old 01-17-2011, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

you probably dropped MPG from the cold, winter air, and your fuel system trying to compensate for it. our intakes do have air temperature sensors.

Swapped them out in the fall, it was 10 Celcius that week. Filled up just before and was running averaging 16.2L/100km, the next tank was around 18L/100km, temperatures remaining around the same average during those 2 weeks. I don't want to talk about my MPG's in these freezing temps right now...

I also ran the stock airbox during the summer for a couple of weeks... same result. The back story here is: I purchased my truck used from the dealer with the K&N intake installed, it was understood that I'd be given a stock airbox with the truck. After fighting like an SOB to get that intake I decided it would be best to make sure if actually fit. Naturally I installed it and got lazy and just left it in. My MPG's dropped in this case as well, nor was I imagining it, I drove the same way with and without. There was a difference in MPG's and in power/sound, power wise was only at the top of the RPM range, which is typical of an aftermarket intake, especially the LS based engines that only start making power upwards of 3000RPM.

Last edited by oktain; 01-17-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 PM
BF Veteran

dont our computers eventually "learn" themselves and adjust fuel trim as needed? so maybe you didnt give it enough time to adjust itself back?

not that i dont believe you, just for argueative purposes lol

Old 01-17-2011, 01:00 PM
BF Veteran

dont our computers eventually "learn" themselves and adjust fuel trim as needed? so maybe you didnt give it enough time to adjust itself back?

not that i dont believe you, just for argueative purposes lol
IMO it should have corrected itself somewhere within the 3 tanks of gas I burned in those 2-3 weeks lol.

Quick Reply: Benefits of cold air intake