Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Budget Performance Upgrade

Old 08-20-2006, 05:01 PM
PawNtheSandman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Budget Performance Upgrade

I have a 98 2dr 4x4 with the 4.3l V6 auto, 77k mi.

It is completely stock. If you had a budget of around $1000, what would be the first performance bolt ons you would do?

I was thinking CAI, underdrive pullys, and new muffler/exhaust.

What else would you do? I would assume a new throttle body, but I haven't seen any bigger ones for this engine. Also I am figuring if I am doing intake and exhaust, I would also need new headers. I have no problem with everything else, but I never installed headers before, so it this something easy to do or would I be better off taking it to a shop? For the exhaust, I want a straight up bolt on replacement, no welding.

In the end, would the performance boost from the above really be worth putting $1000 into a SUV that is only worth about $4000? If I am wasting my time, tell me. If not, tell me what would be the best use of the money into the car. I am stuck with this truck for the next 3-4 years (or when it dies, whatever comes first).

Help me out with some specific parts, etc.

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Budget Performance Upgrade

Well, let me first start out by saying that it is completely up to your opinion of whether or not the vehicle should have that kind of money dropped into it. Do you feel that it is worth it to put $1000 into your truck?

As far as modifications. I would concentrate on a good cold air intake, headers, exhaust (with an aftermarket cat), and a PCM reprogram (not a hypertech). If you have money left over, I would put in a cam. If you can work the cam in, that would be a big help!

As for specifics, well, come on... You've gotta do some work in this. Places to check out would be Summit Racing, Jegs, Comp Cams, etc.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:30 PM

I have all their catalogs, but how should I know the specific one that would be right for me? There are so many different Flowmaster series, headers etc. Which specific PCM programmer would you recommend?

As for the cam, I would have to get a shop to do this, I have no way of getting the engine out and I don't think it would be worth the time to take the front end off. Might be easier to have the shop do the cam and headers together.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

im going to have to agree with swart on this....everything he said would be good. after headers and exhaust though i doubt you will have enough left for a cam...but thats an idea for a later time

Old 08-21-2006, 12:30 AM

I been searching the Summit site. How do I know which engine I have? I know it is the 6 cylinder 4.3 vortec, but how do I know if it is the 261, 262 or 265?

Old 08-21-2006, 07:52 PM

Ok, well I'm looking at some things, let me know what you think

CAI:
K&N 57-3017-2

Throttle Body:
Need Help With Finding One

Underdrive Pullys:
March MCH-4460

Headers:
Either JBA 1842-6 or 1842-3 (Do I want air injection or not?)

CAT/Exhaust
Gibson GIB-614510

Programer:
Need suggestions.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:57 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

IMO the Gibson exhaust doesn't really sound that great. I like the sound of flowmaster...nice and deep sound..Or maybe magnaflow

Old 08-21-2006, 08:17 PM

Searched the flowmaster and magnaflow sites, confused by which model to get. Would like one that doesn't need to be welded. Help is appreciated.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are already having the PCM reprogrammed, they can remove the air injection.

I would suggest you stop by some of the tuner shops in your area and see what they say about a custom tune on your truck. For the $300 of a hand held programmer, you can get one heck of a custom tune that is for YOUR vehicle, not a cookie cutter job that'll work on every vehicle.

On the throttle body, I would suggest removing the TB. Clean it up real good. Remove the throttle blade. Now the blade will have a half moon shaped diverter on it. This does serve a purpose on our motors. I would suggest taking a dremel and cutting about half of the diverter off. I have removed the entire diverter and am now looking to get a new throttle blade from a vortec 350. Just FYI, the TB on our engines is the EXACT same as that used on a vortec 350 v8 except for the diverter. On our engines, the diverter is close to 7/8" tall and on the 350, it's 3/8" tall.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:47 PM

Last summer I took out the throttle body cleaned it. I was gonna remove that blade completely like you said but I didn't.

I'll have to take another look at it.

I'm not spending $300 on a new tuner, I'll probably look for a pre-owned. Anything you recommend?

Also, do I want air injection headers or not? I read about air injection but I'm not really sure if it is a good thing for the engine or not. Advice?

And still looking for a flowmaster kit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Budget Performance Upgrade