Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CAI... Bog?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:44 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future
Question CAI... Bog?!

I installed the heatshield on my CAI and have developped a bit of a bog between 2000-3000rpm compared to before, even compared to stock. I'd be able to punch it at 2000 rpm with the airbox in and give everyone whiplash.

What could be the cause? Is it the filter? (I'm willing to bet seeing as it's an eBay intake with their cheap filter on it) Would it be worth my while to try a K&N? I just find it an expensive "maybe". I'll post some pics of the set-up if necessary, I just don't have the cable for my phone here at work.

THanks

Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

i would go ahead and get a K&N filter anyway, but double check all your hose clamps and makes sure everything is tight and not letting in "stray" air.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:49 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I never thought of that! I thought they were pretty tight but I'll check again. Thanks for the reply, and I think I may go get that filter tomorrow night after work.

Thanks Mike.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:21 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah! I had the same issues. You should get the spectre filter, it is same material as k&n but the design is the inverted cone tip. makes a big difference. Also get some firewall isulation and pack it down in the bottom around the base of your shield. It will make a HUGE difference! Take your truck out at night and romp on it if it doesnt bog then you know its heat! Also I will tell you the ebay filter IS TOO RESTRICTIVE! You atleast need a filter with more surface area. IMO, hope it helps.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:49 AM
BF Veteran

It does thanks.
Does the spectre filter cost more or less than the K&N?
I was actually considering sealing up the bottom of the shield, but if it makes a difference like you say I think I will be tonight.
The eBay filter looks good at least, it has the inverted cone also but at $12.00 you get what you pay for.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:39 PM

I wanna say the spectre was US $25.00, so pretty much half the k&n cost, and as I saw it it comes in red and blue, as apossed to the k&n's funny pinkish color.

The biggest prob with our trucks and CAIs is that there isnt alot of room for the cold air to get in, so if you have anyplaces around your shield were the hot air can get in easyer; it WILL!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:24 AM
BF Veteran

I've been toying with the idea of some sort of scoop behind the grille to feed in some more cold air, another thing is no autoparts store carries Spectre, or has K&N cone filters in stock, just the drop-ins. I couldn't believe it.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:42 PM

i got mine at schuck's its the same as o' rielly or somethin i think. i look it up and post more info.