Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Catalytic Converter Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member
matthew.chapman1 is on a distinguished road
Default Catalytic Converter Question

Might be a dumb question, but if i were to have a friend just straight up replace the stock cat with this universal cat (link below):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories

are there gonna be any side effects...i have heard that there is a chance that it might mess with some 02 sensors causing a warning light to go off on my dash, which i would obviously not want...thanks for any help guys..

Also i do plan on puttin a Super 44 flowmaster on as well, should my cat selection change any because of this (it is just my daliy driver)

2000 LS Blazer 2dr 4x4 4.3

thanks everyone!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:43 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Is there something wrong with the factory cat? I'm afraid just replacing it with this one isn't going to do anything for your truck that you would notice.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member

sorry, i didnt specify. I am replacing because i believe it is clogged and causing my rig to have very slow acceleration...i have hear that is 90% of the time the reason if you have checked eveything else, which i have and taken it to a shop...fuel injection cleaner, new air filter....etc

I have seen on the forum that this has helped a lot of people so i figured i would give it a shot, its not for performance at all

Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Matt, save your money on the magnaflow cat, Their known to cause problems, I for one had a problem and i know someone that put one on a 2005 dodge ram and it caused all kinds of problems till he went to the dealer and bought a factory replacement cat...........

Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member

2002XTREME- Off hand do you know where i can by a stock cat or do you know what kinda price range im lookin at?

Old 08-18-2009, 10:38 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

a dealer ship will run you like 350 for a stock cat, also a way to tell if it is plugged, is drive it real hard and then look at the cat and see if its glowing red hot.

also most of the time they will rattle anyway

Old 10-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member
tiresmokindad is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone.

Sorry for my ignorance, I really need help. I was confused if the magnaflow catalytic converter is pretty good?and also where to buy? I do some searched, inguiry and I come up with this Magnaflow Catalytic Converter . Anyone tried it here.? Any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Last edited by tiresmokindad; 10-26-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:51 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the magnaflow cats, their known to cause Check engine lights... spend the xtra on a stock cat from the dealer... What kind of veh are you driving?? More info will help in any further questions you may have..

Old 10-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Starting Member
blazer blaze13 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a magna flow cat on mine and it didnt cause any problems, since i took off the smaller one at the y pipe connection i threw a catalyst efficency code. but replacing the first cat with a pipe made my exhast ALOT louder.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

The Magnaflow cat on my 2000 Firebird ended up getting clogged after less than a year.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Question