Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

cold air intake question

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 11:28 PM
Jhop16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cold air intake question

i want to buy a cold air intake for my 92 s10 blazer 4.3 L , what kind of intake would i need to get, i've looked it up on ebay and stuff, but i get so many diffferent kinds and the price is really cheap so it seems unbelieveable, cuz it seems like it'd atleast cost into the 100's ..

Old 12-06-2005, 08:18 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: cold air intake question

K&N makes one, it's about 250 bucks though. A cold air intake, although it is super sweet, and i really really really want one, it doesn't do a whole lot, not enough for 250 bucks in my opinion. If you can find one cheaper, it might be better. As far as ebay goes, just pick your seller wisely.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:35 AM
Major Pain is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm new guy on the forums but I did this to my Grand Prix and my Sonoma Pick Up and just bought a 99 Blazer yesterday but Autozone in their import section have Cold Air Intakes. You'll have to cut the air boot and use an apoxy for to sensors but I did notice an increase in mileage and takeoff power. The kit comes in 3 colors and runs for about $35.00 K&N are great but a little steep on price for people.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:26 PM
2000ZR2 is an unknown quantity at this point

if its the same kit im thinkin of your gonna need to make some custom modificatons alot of them to that intake i tired doing the ebay kit on my cavalier and i noticed alil more gas mileage but then i put a injen kit on it with a K&N fliter on it and i was alot more happier and it sound it a lot better my suggestion is to save your money and buy a good kit the kits that they sell from ebay have crappy filters and K&N also gives you a warrenty on the filter just my 2 cents not that theres a problem with making a make shift one just i think its nice if there is a kit out there to use the tested and research product then you know that it is designed for opitiom performance and output

Old 12-16-2005, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your truck already has cold air intake. The stock intake draws air from the front of the grill, doesn't get any colder then that. Most of the "Cold Air Intake" kits have you take off the stock box and put in a big filter open to the engine compartment heat, then they throw on a "heat sheild" so the filter draws in cold air. What a joke. All the air in the engine compartment is hotter then the outside air. The stock box draws its air from the front of the truck, not from under the hood. It doesn't get any colder then that. If you want to put in a better breathing filter, that is a different story. You will get more power from a free flowing air filter that fits in the stock box. Try the AC Delco Kool Blue filter.

Then again, I am not fond of "freer flowing air filters". Not only do they allow more air to flow, they allow more dirt to flow. Dirt is the one thing that will destroy your engine. Its OK to run a freer air filter on a race engine. The race engine ususally gets rebuilt every year. Yours has to last a long, long, long, long time before it gets rebuilt.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-22-2005, 11:15 AM
OsideKilla70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys
I'm also new to the forums and i have a 98 blazer 2dr 4x4 with the 4.3L vortec (of course) and what i did was took out the stock one and laid it out on the ground so i could get the exact dimensions of the bends and took it to pep boyz and got all of the connectors and pipes and put one together myself and with the help of two good friends and some imagination i made it so that i still had the cold air comming in from the grille and had and larger diameter pipe for better flow. i put a digital camera on my X-Mas list so i wil have some pics because still to this day people have trouble believeing me.
Also to come is peterbuilt airhorns with compressors and exhaust!!

Old 01-02-2006, 12:39 AM
Autoidiot is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to put a cold air intake on my jimmy but not sure if it would be safe to do since I also play in the mud some. Would it be safe to add one and still play in the mud as long as i check it after every mud trip?

Old 01-02-2006, 12:58 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer a snorkle for water/mud.

If a snorkle isn't in the plans, know where your intake is and make sure you don't get water/mud in it.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:10 AM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah good advice hanr. After market air-filters like k&n allow more air to flow in, this also means more dirt, mud, water, etc. can pass through. If you like to play off-road a lot just be extremly careful.

Old 01-02-2006, 01:04 PM
quontush is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been looking at snorkles and cant find one that will work for a blazer, anyone seen one?

Quick Reply: cold air intake question