Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
mav06 is on a distinguished road
Default Cold air Intake Question

So i have purchased a CAI from ebay and replaced the Filter with a K&N one. I have also Built a heat shield for it. So my question is not its getting cold out side should i take off the heat shield so i can get some luke warm air instead of below freezing air going in.

Matt

Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I wouldn't see any purpose of removing the heat shield. Any of the people that have a CAI installed with a heat shield don't remove it in the winter due to the cold. Generally the colder the air going in the better (performance wise).

Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

well, not to be a smart ***, but it is a COLD air intake. the idea it to get the best free flowing cold air the engine can get.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:44 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I did think this same thing too though.

It got down to -52C here just a couple days ago. That cold of air can't be good for it. But then again when its that cold nothing seems to work right. Period.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Id take the heat shield out at that extreme temp. Just like when semis block off the entire radiator to keep heat up at temps that low.

Think about it...removing the heat shield in -50*C...youd still be pulling cooler air than what I pull in with a heat shield

Old 12-15-2009, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

How cold are you talking about when you say "starting to get cold out"?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

holy god, at -52 C instead of pulling out your heat shield, pull your family out and drive south like hell until it gets at least +20 F. thats just too damn cold

Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABN31B
holy god, at -52 C instead of pulling out your heat shield, pull your family out and drive south like hell until it gets at least +20 F. thats just too damn cold
Believe me, I've though about it.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:37 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

The whole point of it is to get the coldest air possible. The colder that air the better, But im not sure if the extreme temps could be bad

Old 12-15-2009, 07:24 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

-52 C holy **** thats -62 F!!! That is COLD!!!

Quick Reply: Cold air Intake Question