Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Custom exhaust question

Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

one more thing to know with headers. Wrap them with header wrap and get anything meltable or burnable away from them

Old 05-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Beginning Member
someone11 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by newguy
one more thing to know with headers. Wrap them with header wrap and get anything meltable or burnable away from them
Yeah I already read that lol, thanks for the reminder though.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Starting Member
blackwolfgtz is on a distinguished road
Default The Headers you have

Someone11 those headers you got have the air injection ports on them are you using them or blocking them off? also how was ordering from that company both services and quality of headers? They kind of have a mixed bag of reviews and just wanted to know if all went well with your order.

Thanks,

T-Man

Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah I saw the mixed reviews and decided to try them anyways. Shipping was fast and the headers look good. I wont get everything on for a few months. I believe I can use those ports with my truck but if not we'll just block them off. Not too worried about it.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:19 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by someone11
As for cats...for the purposes of this forum and not getting this thread locked ill be running cats
Thank you for following the rules, we do appreciate it.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:56 AM
Beginning Member
Tenthjester65 is on a distinguished road

Just for reference to previous reply on max pipe size pre. Hp 4.3 puts 190 hp and 250 ft/lbs at 2800 rpm if memory serves me correctly. 262ci

Old 06-12-2014, 11:48 AM
Starting Member
RJ2004 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, even 2.5 inch will be waaaaay to large for your engine. You WILL lose all your low end torque which is basically all the 4.3s are good for. TBH, 2" is even pushing the envelope. When it comes to exhaust systems, most often bigger is not better. Those that say different don't know what they're talking about.
CAIs on un-modded engines are mostly for show. Only very minimal gains are made using one on an OLD, stock engine, even with hedders and dual exhaust. You gain, what? 1 horse power? Maybe? They're designed to increase hp at high rpm's. Unless you have higher flowing heads and a bigger cam they're pretty much a waste of money.
Don't waste your money on a x-over pipe either. It's only a myth that they increase power on engines and defeat the purpose of dual exhaust making it just a HUMONGOUS single exhaust. All it's good for is slightly better sound. And don't listen anyone saying it balances out the pulses so better scavenging is done, creating more hp. That's just nonsense. Do the Pro racers use them? No. If there were any gains to be had, they'd ALL use them.

There's the facts. Go with 2.5 or 3" dual exhaust if you must, just don't complain when your truck runs like s**t.

Last edited by RJ2004; 06-12-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:55 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I believe stock is 2.25, would go over 2.5

Old 06-13-2014, 07:40 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by RJ2004
Yeah, even 2.5 inch will be waaaaay to large for your engine. You WILL lose all your low end torque which is basically all the 4.3s are good for. TBH, 2" is even pushing the envelope. When it comes to exhaust systems, most often bigger is not better. Those that say different don't know what they're talking about.
CAIs on un-modded engines are mostly for show. Only very minimal gains are made using one on an OLD, stock engine, even with hedders and dual exhaust. You gain, what? 1 horse power? Maybe? They're designed to increase hp at high rpm's. Unless you have higher flowing heads and a bigger cam they're pretty much a waste of money.
Don't waste your money on a x-over pipe either. It's only a myth that they increase power on engines and defeat the purpose of dual exhaust making it just a HUMONGOUS single exhaust. All it's good for is slightly better sound. And don't listen anyone saying it balances out the pulses so better scavenging is done, creating more hp. That's just nonsense. Do the Pro racers use them? No. If there were any gains to be had, they'd ALL use them.

There's the facts. Go with 2.5 or 3" dual exhaust if you must, just don't complain when your truck runs like s**t.
I seriously have to question everything you said because the stock exhaust is 2.25" lol. Again, my truck and my money. I have lots of other plans for it besides JUST a new exhaust and CAI.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Starting Member
RJ2004 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by someone11
I seriously have to question everything you said because the stock exhaust is 2.25" lol. Again, my truck and my money. I have lots of other plans for it besides JUST a new exhaust and CAI.
Annnnnd you'd be a fool to doubt me.

You're comparing apples to oranges.
2.25" SINGLE EXHAUST. Meaning both banks flow into a 2.25" SINGLE EXHAUST PIPE, not 2. You want to install 2.5 or 3" dual exhaust on your stock, old, engine? It's almost humorous. Don't you see the problem there?

I would explain the details but my time can be better spent elsewhere.

Like I said, do what you want but don't complain when it runs like s**t.

Last edited by RJ2004; 06-13-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom exhaust question