Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cut airbox, anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:00 AM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cut airbox, anyone done this?

Changing out my air filter for a K&N today and I noticed that the little intake opening on the stock intake box is even smaller than the throttle body. Add that small opening, then passing air through the filter and MAF before reaching the throttle body, and I would think it would be very restricted indeed.

So has anyone cut the bottom half of the airbox so the whole filter is exposed, giving less restriction? If so, did you notice any increase in power afterwards?

Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

if you do a quick search i beleive a few guys have done this and have given some reviews.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:38 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

If you do any offroading, you might want to do a deckplate install. Get a 4" deckplate form a boating store, install it, leave the cover out for normal use, and just seal it back up for offroad. Looks cleaner than a swissed airbox anyway.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

I cut the front of my airbox out and I hated the sound. Sounded like I was running without a muffler lol, now I have an Airraid Intake with the stock airbox and a ported throttle body and it's a much nicer sound. Maybe if you swiss cheeze it it will be better but I'd recommend not cutting out the entire front section of your airbox!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

You will suck more hot air. if anything i would cut the hole in the drivers side of the box, as opposed to the bottom of it.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:16 PM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ugly_Monkey
You will suck more hot air. if anything i would cut the hole in the drivers side of the box, as opposed to the bottom of it.
This is what I was thinking, cutting the front and driver side off of the box, leaving the pass side and back of the box closed as to still block some heat. As far as an intake sounding like your exhaust is missing, not possible, so I'm not worried about that. I'll try it next week and see how it goes. I'm not expecting much, just a few more hp that's all. Mod money is reserved for my TA.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Starting Member

Hold it to 2500rpm and post the results. That was just with the front cutout I'm sure the front and side would be worse lol, unless you're into that kind of thing. Of course I am going a little over the top by saying it sounds like your muffler is missing but it definitely doesn't sound good! I like a little roar to a truck which is why I bought my Airraid intake, and another stock bottom airbox from a wrecker yard because it sounded that bad!

Old 05-14-2009, 08:56 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

Swain, Your intake added a nice sound when on the gas and more sound from the exhaust? I have my dads friends shop doing a super 44 dual out in a week or so and ill have my cold air intake this upcomeing tuesday. I love the sound of a cold air intake sucking in air but never payed attention to the sound it gave the motor and exahaust. Noticeable sound or very noticeable like a mild exhaust?

Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 PM
Starting Member

You notice it when above ~2250rpm, otherwise it sounds pretty stock. Which is exactly what I wanted. If you want it to get really loud(almost annoying) you could cut the front of your airbox out below the mount but I do not recommend this as it is really loud about 1750-2000rpm and up. I just have a stock exhaust so I would imagine with a flowmaster it would increase the sound as well.

Originally Posted by kgkern01
This is what I was thinking, cutting the front and driver side off of the box, leaving the pass side and back of the box closed as to still block some heat. As far as an intake sounding like your exhaust is missing, not possible, so I'm not worried about that. I'll try it next week and see how it goes. I'm not expecting much, just a few more hp that's all. Mod money is reserved for my TA.
And FYI you are not going to pick up more horsepower by cutting out the front of your airbox, but it will sound louder. If you were to do a CAI, ported/or larger throttle body, full exhaust including headers, good tune, and a good cam you will get some decent horsepower.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:23 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 3.5in CAI and my truck is loud as heck! all RPMs lol Bad part is I really like the sound when I stomp on it, lol gotta stop doing that, lol, i use too much gas! haha

Quick Reply: Cut airbox, anyone done this?