Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Duals

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 01:19 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Duals

I've wanted duals on my blazer since I first got it. I've already decide on a muffler (Thanks for the good advice lastcoupe), Flowmaster 40-series. I like loud and they are loud, and I like performance, and judging by the research I did on them they are performance. Now here are the questions: Does anybody have duals on their blazer? Where did they run your pipes and how much did they charge you? What diameter pipe did they run?

I ask because everywhere I have been probably a couple dozen places nobody would do it. They wouldn't say why, just that they could not do it. Only one place would do it, but when I asked how much it would cost they said $2200 *no joke* and I laughed all the way out the door. So can anybody help me out here?

Old 09-29-2006, 01:34 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default RE: Duals

I have always been told that they cannot run duals unless the truck is lifted in some way shape or form. Something about the clearance batween the rear axle and the body or something. If you look at your stock exhaust, the pipe is flattened out where it runs over top of your rear axle. I have personally never seen a stock height blazer with duals, i have see alot of lifted trucks with duals. See where I live there is a place that will run dual rear exit exhaust with a flowmaster super 40 muffler for $169 on any vehicle. Thats where I plan to go when I lift my Blazer.

P.S. I woulodn't advise just a muffler swap with the stock pipe. I have a friend with a 2000 model that swapped mufflers for a 40 series delta flow and it sounds like $h!t.

P.S.S. you couls always run the duals out the sides just before the rear wheels, Kinda like Ford F-150 Lightning exhaust

[IMG]local://upfiles/2374/8151E1DC4AB84EF6A4BB0A04A85B808F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2006, 01:49 PM

Yeah I was going to do like the Lightning exhaust, but it is illegal here in TX. The law says your exhaust tip or tailpipe has to extend to the rear of any passenger cabin on a vehicle. I'm definitley getting rid of the tailpipe when I get the 40 series put on. Hopefully I can get it in all stainless!

Old 09-29-2006, 05:18 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point

What?? whats the point of a law like that? I guess i cant drive my truck in tx now. I can take a pic of what mine look like if you want. and yeah it prob wouldnt work if its stock hieght

Old 09-29-2006, 05:47 PM

I dont know what the point behind it is. I'm sure they have their reasons, but personally I think my blazer would look bada** with an exhaust like the lightning has! Then I'd have my duals too!

Old 09-29-2006, 07:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

NY has this requirement as well. It is to keep exhaust fumes from entering the passenger compartment, causing the oxygen content to decrease to dangerous levels, and you can fill in what happens next. This is primarily to keep exhaust dumps fom under the vehicle from being done. It all depends on how the law is written. I know that I can have exhaust exit out directly in front of the rear wheels on my Chevelle (and plan to), but for SUVs, wagons, and true hatch-backs, it must be behind the rear axle.

And, to be honest, a single exhaust is cheaper, easier, and just as, if not more efficient than duals. I have heard a 4.3L with true duals and it sounded like absolute crap. Ever heard a 3 cylinder motor run? Not a pretty sound. Now put two 3 cylinders side by side. Still not good. Now nothing beats the sound of dual exhaust on a v8, but a v6 just doesn't sound good IMO.

If you are more interested in the look of duals, then just split after the muffler.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:22 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Luck with the "FLOWmaster" they are only good for sound, ask the majority of F-BODY owners. dynomax flows as well as borla AND have the noise you are looking for. Just fyi but id never buy a flowmaster again, i hated the 40 series, not the noise but they dont flow for crap.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

NY has this requirement as well. It is to keep exhaust fumes from entering the passenger compartment, causing the oxygen content to decrease to dangerous levels, and you can fill in what happens next. This is primarily to keep exhaust dumps fom under the vehicle from being done. It all depends on how the law is written. I know that I can have exhaust exit out directly in front of the rear wheels on my Chevelle (and plan to), but for SUVs, wagons, and true hatch-backs, it must be behind the rear axle.

And, to be honest, a single exhaust is cheaper, easier, and just as, if not more efficient than duals. I have heard a 4.3L with true duals and it sounded like absolute crap. Ever heard a 3 cylinder motor run? Not a pretty sound. Now put two 3 cylinders side by side. Still not good. Now nothing beats the sound of dual exhaust on a v8, but a v6 just doesn't sound good IMO.

If you are more interested in the look of duals, then just split after the muffler.
You should hear an iron duke with duals. Its a very odd sounding thing.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:16 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

I'm not sure i agree with the flowmaster not performing. I also have a 2004 Silverado Z71. It has a 327 v-8. I had duals run on it with a single inlet/dual outlet 40 series muffler, and I can now break traction from 40 mph on 265/70/16 BFG AT's and an auto tranny. I could not do this before. Maybe it just depends on the engine, but I also enhanced performance on a ford ranger I used to have with the same muffler. If they weren't good mufflers they wouldn't be so popular. . . .

As for the blazer, I'd go with single inlet/dual outlet because the single outlet will not give you the same sound. The single outlet is gay....... trust me. . . . . .

Old 09-30-2006, 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: a_tack

I'm not sure i agree with the flowmaster not performing. I also have a 2004 Silverado Z71. It has a 327 v-8. I had duals run on it with a single inlet/dual outlet 40 series muffler, and I can now break traction from 40 mph on 265/70/16 BFG AT's and an auto tranny. I could not do this before. Maybe it just depends on the engine, but I also enhanced performance on a ford ranger I used to have with the same muffler. If they weren't good mufflers they wouldn't be so popular. . . .

As for the blazer, I'd go with single inlet/dual outlet because the single outlet will not give you the same sound. The single outlet is gay....... trust me. . . . . .
I had em on 3 vehicles so far and I had the same result with all 3, the hemi ram....it got its 40 series replaced with a dynomax bullet, sounds like a hemi finally. The SS LS1..it got an SLP loudmouth after I ripped the 40 series off of that, and I put duals on my 420hp 355sbc equipped camino i got the 40 series....3 weeks later I got bullets for it, it made a bunch of noise that is signature to flowmaster and thats it, I ran quicker without the slowmasters then with them, but again its personal choice, like with becool crap. And my pipe diameters were all 3"

Quick Reply: Duals