Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

edelbrock headers causing o2 issues?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 PM
rcravincase is an unknown quantity at this point
Default edelbrock headers causing o2 issues?

ive gone through 2 bosch o2 sensors since installing my edlebrock headers last fall. the factory bung is poorly located against the starter and i was forced to have one burned in on the y-pipe, in the factory location. im wondering if there isnt enough heat now and i causing the o2 sensor to build up carbon?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 PM

wow, im glad this site is so helpful

Old 03-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you were only as resourceful as you were 'witty', you would probably have determined that your problem was the crappy, not worth the cardboard the box was made out of, Bosch sensors. A simple 'bump' would have sufficed... Also, a search would have told you to use AC Delco sensors.

What is funny though is that the O2 sensors seem to last just fine in the stock location with a stock vehicle... So how is it that you had to 'burn in' a new sensor, but in the stock location? Or do you just like talking in circles?

Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

well said

Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 PM
Starting Member
1997 red blazer is on a distinguished road

Well you were a little harsh. Quote "wow, im glad this site is so helpful".
Maybe since you have been a such an asset Member on here as of Jun2006 with all your Input has made this site so Helpful. Maybe you get what you help put into it ? Because this is one Great Forum. Sorry you fell that way. T.J.

Last edited by 1997 red blazer; 03-15-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: A Correction
Old 03-15-2010, 11:42 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

and yet still no reply from the OP.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:55 PM

i had the o2 bung welded into the y-pipe in the factory location. the location from edelbrock was on the pass. side header, directly facing the starter (epic fail on their part), so that location was useless to me. i figured it would be smarter to have it installed in the factory location, but im wondering if the exhaust gasses being a different temperature now because of the headers vs. the cast iron, if that is having an effect.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, see, you left out that crucial piece of information. The small difference in exhaust gas temperature should not impact the operation of the O2 sensor. Having it after the 'y' in the y-pipe was a good move on your part. That way it can see both sides of the engine.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

O2 location on the exhaust will only effect when it goes into open/closed loop. Not real familiar with a 95 but I upgraded to a heated sensor in the headers of my 87.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:46 PM

i figured if it was good enough for gm to do that, i thought it would be smart to put it there too. so its probably just a run of bad o2 sensor? the first bosch ran for 50k miles with no issues until i broke it. even the issue with the fuel spider had no problems to it. i guess if it goes again ill go with an ac delco

Quick Reply: edelbrock headers causing o2 issues?