Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
mhollis is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Exhaust ideas?

OK so the next thing I'm going to do to my truck is get a K&N cold air intake and get my exhaust redone at the same time.

So, my question is should i spend the extra and try to find headers to run dual exhaust or should i just leave it as a manifold and run a single pipe?

Also, Ive heard from a couple of different people that flow masters sound bad on a 6cyl so i need ideas of what exhaust to get?

For one last note, since i live in Florida we don't have vehicle inspections so I'm thinking about either completely getting rid of the cats or hollowing them out. Suggestions?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

what are you driving??

Old 04-27-2009, 07:28 PM

I guess that would be helpful, lol. I drive a 05 s10 blazer 2dr 2wd.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:45 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people have said that a true dual exhaust on a 6 cylinder sounds like "dueling 3 cylinders". Without internal changes (cam, compression ratio, etc) I don't think you will get a good performance return for money spent. I would want to see real dyno results (not a butt dyno) with duals.
The sound of a particular exhaust is subjective on the part of the listener. Lots of members here have Flowmasters on their Blazer and like the sound. Go to YouTube and listen to the videos of FM's on a 4.3L.
Regarless of Florida's lack of inspections, they can't override the Federal law requiring a catalytic converter on any vehicle driven on public roads in the US. If any law enforcement officer were to notice the lack of a cat, I doubt that the fine (around $2,500 I think) would be worth the slight performance increase you would notice.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

if ur really set on a dual exhaust just get a cat back with dual exits, alot of guys go that route and itll sound alot better than a true dual IMO.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
smdepew1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

I run a single in dual out flowmaster on my blazer and I think it sounds good. It's actually a little loud I'm told but I like the tone.....

Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Hack it all off!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:37 AM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

If you remove your cats you will have a service engine light on constantly because there is o2 sensors after the cats on your truck.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:38 PM

OK, i appreciate all of the help. First the o2 sensor is an easy fix with a sensor cap which a friend of mine has some extras that just relay a good reading to get rid of the annoying light.

But now my question is should i run a single in single out, or should i get a single in dual out? And also should i go flow master or some other brand?

Also, is hollowing out the cats worth the time and effort?

Last edited by rriddle3; 04-28-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 04-28-2009, 05:02 PM

single exit, dual exit and type of muffler is all personal opinion. you can listen to clips on youtube of various mufflers to getan idea of what u like and a dual exit will just be for looks you wont really gain anything. the hallowing of that cats have been disciussed a few timeson here, just run a quick search and you should come up with some helpful info.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ideas?