Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust size

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Beginning Member
Viperguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Exhaust size

I've got a '97 Blazer and I'm probably going to be getting either a FlowmasterOriginal 40 or Super 44 muffler.I'm not really sure whether to keep the stocktail pipe or have a 2.5" put on. Are there anynoticable differences in sound or performancebetween the stock 2.25"pipe and a 2.5" pipe?Thanks.

Viperguy

Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Exhaust size

Some will say that you can hear and feel a difference, but my exhaust man (and myself) say you will not.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Exhaust size

The installation oftubular headers, adding dual tail pipes, increasing the diameterof the stock exhaust systemand adding a high flow mufflerhas no noticeable effect on the performance of astock 4.3L V6 engine except to reduce the amount of low end torque. The engineers knew what they were doing when they designed a2.25" exhaust system on the V6 S10 Blazer. The exhaust system should have a calculated amount ofrestriction to aid in low end torque production and thelittle4.3L V6 needs all the low end torque it can get. A high flow exhaust system will "blow down" (over scavenge) the combustion chambers and pulla portion of the incoming fuel air mixture out with the exhaust flow duringthe valve overlap period. That can kill the torque production from 1000 to 3000 RPM when you need it most in order to overcome the inertia and get the vehicle moving from a dead stop. Alow (high numerical) rear end ratio can be installed to replace the lost low end torque if you install a high flow exhaust system.That requires transmission shift improvements (Corvette type servo) the addition of a more radical camshaft, high tension valve springs, chromemoly pushrods, larger intake and exhaust valves and possibly a improved TBI from www.xtremeFI.com if so equipped.

1.) Did you ever hear of anyone eliminating the expansion chamber and installing a straight pipeon a 100 CC dirt bike? Same thing.
2.) What size and type exhaust system was the Turbo-charged 4.3L Syclones and Typhoons equipped with?

The stock exhaust system on the S10 4.3L V6 Blazer is optimum as is. Install 2.02" intake and 1.60" exhaust valves, a high lift cam with 224 deg. duration 4.10 rear gears, high flow TBI, andthe stock system would support up to 300 HP and would still be good to 5,000 RPM.Cat-back tail pipes, tubular headers a loud high flow muffler is for the sound and the "wow" effect only and you should notexpect any more.