Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Exhaust thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 PM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road
Default Exhaust thoughts?

2000 GMC Jimmy
4.3l v6 (shocking I know, lol)
Replacement cat converter from autozone ( yes I do regret going to them...)

Lookin to have my exhaust redone. Getting custom bent duals. But that's as far as I garentee I want. But I'm not sue if I want straight out the back or 45° on the corners? Muffler will be a 2.5" single inlet 2.25" dual outlet. But i was lookin to get a single chambered muffler like a cherry bomb extreme or flowmaster 10 series. And finally Idk if I want 2" out the rear or 2.25"?

So in a nutshell from front to back.

Muffler: single chamber? Or u think that would be way to loud? If so, other recommendations?

Pipe size: reduced to 2" or just stay 2.25"?

And finally tips location: straight out the back or 45° on the corners?

So let me know what u think, open to other recommendations.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

On these motors you don't need true duals. IMO save yourself some money and just get a single in/single out or a single in/dual out if you just want the look of duals. Either outlet quantity choice is going to be darn near identical in terms of exhaust flow. If you're set on duals then go for it, but I'd put the money elsewhere.

Tips: Personally I like the stock look of turn downs on these trucks. It's all about personal taste when it comes to tips.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

I have gone through the same issues, sort of. I got mine switched to a single in/dual out with behind the wheel turn downs. Turn downs because A: LOTS of p/u's have straight out the back exhaust & I wanted to be different & B: if you do ANY off roading out the back is not what you want. You'll lose departure angle a lot & the 1st thing to get crushed would be the exhaust tips.
I have my pre cat removed & a 'high flow' cat installed & it sounds great! many people say it sounds awesome & are surprised it's just a V6.
The muffler is a Flo Pro straight through muffler - look in one end & see out 2 outlets.
With the cat removed (for a day) it was way too loud for my tastes, obnoxious. The exhaust is stock diameter 2.25 all the way.
Larger tips may get you a bit more low pop sound but with a straight through single in/dual out muffler & no pre cat, (check local laws) you won't need it.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:58 AM
Park is on a distinguished road

Exhaust is always fun in my opinion. Good luck Blade. So many options it's a blast. My exhaust isn't finished yet. I am running a cherrybomb glass pack that replaced the stock muffler. I am working on getting a Y-pipe above my rear axle or in that area then I am running the tips straight out the rear. I left the stock cat. I thought about 45 exits the decided I didn't like it on the blazer. Have fun and go nuts. To a point pipe is cheap, you can always make adjustments down the road. Odin knows I will.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Starting Member
Blade_24k is on a distinguished road

Yea i completly agree, on these vehicles true duals are enexpensive waste of money because there is essentaily no performace gains with true duals with the 4.3L, witch is why i would go with the single inlet dual outlet muffler like i said in the original post.

I currently have a cherry bomb glass pack, but its old burnt out, and it came off my old car when i sold it so its a 2"in and 2" out, so since it burnt out it kinda sounds "crappy".

And i have essentaily decided that im going with the duals out the back on the sides of the receiver,so im not worried about crusing the tips if i go off raoding, the receiver should take the hit. im just still unsure about pipe size, and what kind of muffler to go with, idk if the single chamber muffler will be to loud.

And Park i agree "Blazers to the end!" just wanna modify it to "Blazers and Jimmys to the end!" lol, if it came down to rebuild/buy a new (insert extreamly expensive part, engine, tranny, ect.) or getting a new vehicle id fix it. Only reason i would get rid of it would be for last model year they made the Blazer or Jimmy.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:32 AM

I think a single chamber would be similar to the glass pack but I could be way off. I don't know much about mufflers. I'm thinking 2.5 inch pipe to the Y then either 2 or 2.25 inch to the tips.

As far as the "Blazers to the end!" signature you can go to your profile and put one in. I stole the line from Gears of war 3 (great game btw) and replaced brothers with blazers. By all means go make your sig "Blazers and Jimmys to the end!". Sadly my gf and I have had a talk that ended with no matter what happens to Thumper I'm keeping her. She might get stuffed in the back of some garage or something some day but she will be mine til I die.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:18 AM
redcruiser is an unknown quantity at this point

This is what I did with my Blazer, see and hear it here
https://blazerforum.com/forum/sights...uk-snow-68271/

Old 02-24-2012, 12:10 PM
VortechChevyRider is on a distinguished road

Hello im new but just trying to leave some feedback. Vehicle: stock 99 blazer 4x4. I have upgraded my muffler only to a flowmaster, im not sure outlet size, but it sounds pretty good, it has a mild rumble now and makes me feel like im in a truck. I wanna upgrade my cat. Too. But a good 125 invesrment, and with the money I save I put on am ebay 36$ cold air kit. It really brings out the feeling and sound of the flowmaster muffler

Old 02-24-2012, 11:29 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Sadly my gf and I have had a talk that ended with no matter what happens to Thumper I'm keeping her. She might get stuffed in the back of some garage or something some day but she will be mine til I die.
Off topic here but uh Thumper is the blazer or gf? Most men would like a gf they can affectionately call thumper. A blazer called thumper is cool too btw. Much better than my gf calling mine The Cranberry Blazer & then The Cute Cranberry Blazer. omfg lol I said OK CB it is!

Old 02-25-2012, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Off topic here but uh Thumper is the blazer or gf? Most men would like a gf they can affectionately call thumper. A blazer called thumper is cool too btw. Much better than my gf calling mine The Cranberry Blazer & then The Cute Cranberry Blazer. omfg lol I said OK CB it is!
Thumper is my blazer. I don't have any good nicknames for the gf. Though between the 2 no wonder I'm always smiling and broke.

Now back on topic, found out a matter of hours ago my cat was toast. A buddy of mine cut it out to find it hollow, he replaced it. Thumper revs faster, is louder and has a kinda raspy tone above 4000 rpms now. It's entertaining. Hopefully I'll get my Y-pipe and tips in soon. Blade I hope you're having as much with your exhaust as I am. I am now running 2.5inch pipe.

Quick Reply: Exhaust thoughts?