Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Flowmaster 40 muffler

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Sean Pedro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flowmaster 40 muffler

just bought a flowmaster 40 muffler with 2.25 inlet and outlet...got it from ebay for 50 with free shipping...i thought it was a pretty good deal...anyone have any comments from past experience? how about some help with getting it installed...thanks

Old 01-22-2007, 07:36 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Flowmaster 40 muffler

50 with free shipping? thats 6 bucks cheaper then retail was a few years ago, nice deal. As for the muffler, I have my own personal opinions on them, just like K&N and BFG's. Id get it put in professionally, have them weld it instead of clamp it. The reason is leaks as well as they might have to trim your stock intermediate pipe and your axle pipe.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:34 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Great deal, I paid $75.00 each for the ones on my Caprice and $80.00 installed for the one on my blazer. A friend has his own exhaust shop. I too have my own personal opinion on them and that is I will install one or two on every vehicle I ever own.....until I find something that sounds better. Some people don't like them, but I have had them installed on the last 5 "keeper" vehicles that I have owned and I LOVE them. Ya done good man you'll love it too!

As for the install, you will probably want to take it to a shop. Your existing muffler has to be cut off and it is like twice as long as the 40 so a new piece of pipe will need to be installed. And like detroit said...have it all welded up. ENJOY!

Old 01-22-2007, 11:00 PM
00Blazer2dr is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 40 series on mine too, and im gettin the same thing put on my new blazer.They sound good, pretty loud but not obnoxious. Low tone. I had to buy a few adapters so the stock pipe would fit on there cuz the muffler in/out dia. was too large. Definately get it welded so it doesnt leak. And dont forget to spray it with some high heat exhaust paint so it sont rust up on you since it is only aluminized steel(rust easily)

Old 01-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Sean Pedro is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks alot...i was wondering if i took it to a shop they would have that extra bit a piping i would need there right? and i was going to buy a tip too but i wasnt sure whether it would be better to just get a turn down tip or i was thinking of one of those chevy bowtie tips...this wont melt any of my fender off will it?

Old 01-23-2007, 04:17 PM

Yeah a good shop will have everything they need to do a quality install, and just make sure the tailpipe is positioned correctly when they weld the muffler on so it doesn't melt your paint....Very easily done...you shouldn't have to worry.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:58 PM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any air flow numbers for the Flowmasters compared to other mufflers? I know a lot of my buddies with LS1s say Flowmasters suck for their cars, dyno proven not the butt dyno.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:39 PM

No I don't have any numbers, but if you're really after MAXIMUM performance why run a muffler at all? Open headers will net you the most performance as far as I can tell, but that's illegal for street use and really annoying at highway speed with a 3.73:1 gear...LOL Anyway, I love the SOUND of flowmaster, I could care less about how much power it adds to my race car .......I mean daily driver 4x4 suv.....

Old 01-24-2007, 01:37 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe
Open headers will net you the most performance as far as I can tell, but that's illegal for street use and really annoying at highway speed with a 3.73:1 gear...LOL Anyway, I love the SOUND of flowmaster, I could care less about how much power it adds to my race car .......I mean daily driver 4x4 suv.....
I think you answered your question right there. I know its just a DD SUV but when Im off road I like to have that extra power thats why I asked.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:45 AM
Jared is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have a soundclip of thier truck with a flowmaster 40? I got one put on mine the day after I bought it and it doesn't seem loud to me at all I'm starting to wonder if maybe my cats plugged or something or if I'm really just use to it. Although a friend of mine the other day didn't believe me that I have a flowmaster on mine because he said its so quiet.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 40 muffler