Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Flowmaster 40 Series getting installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:17 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flowmaster 40 Series getting installed

So the muffler is being installed as we speak. I think they're putting a 2.50" tail pipe on it, but he said it's gonna be really loud (obviously). I want it to be loud, but I don't want it to be that the cops will be on me about it. I doubt so, though. My friend has dual Flow 40's on his pickup and it doesn't sound so loud that cops would ever care. It just sounds deep and growly, which is what I want. As long as I keep the cat on, it won't be that loud.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:31 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Flowmaster 40 Series getting installed

Good luck. I'm glad you found the exhaust you wanted. I think you'll like the Flowmaster.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Thank you, hopefully all goes well during installation.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:49 PM
navyblue_sk8er is an unknown quantity at this point

I put a 40 series on my blazer but its no where near as loud as I would like it. Be nice if you could run dual exhuast on a 4wd plus x pipe it somewhere. Then I think I would have the sound and loudness I want. Hopefully you like the sound and loudness of yours.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, can't wait for it to be done. You should post up a video or sound clip once its done.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 PM

It'd be hard to run duals on these trucks, I've looked underneath and saw no room. A guy at my job has the same problem with his Dodge Ram. His gas tank sticks out the bottom so he has no room. I think he's gonna run duals along eachother and have it come out a dual outlet exhaust.

Also, I'll try to get a video clip up tomorrow morning before or after class. I have class 1:45 - 2:30, so either way I can prob get a vid in. Hopefully the camera is charged. Midas said the truck should be ready by 4, but I doubt that. I have class tonight at 6:30, and I'm betting I won't even get the truck back by then. Also, the Super 40 comes in black which is pretty cool. I thought the Super 44 only came in black. Not that it matters when it's on the truck.

navyblue_sk8er, are those Mickey Thompson rims? I was thinking of Mickey Thompson rims with the BFG A/T tires.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:38 PM
navyblue_sk8er is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah they're American Racing. But the Mickey Thompson version is pretty much exactly the same. Lookin forward to the vid.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

nice should sound good! i just got my flowmaster super 44 muffler and am in the process of installing it. has anyone ever had the pipe come out the back instead of the side? this guy at this muffler shop said i could just take the right side of the dual pipe exhaust and use that so it would exit the back insted of the side. i just got the pipe today havent put it up there to compare but they seem to be the same length (i measured) and also the super 44 muffler is about an inch shorter than my stock muffler and i'm gettin a stock extention pipe from the cat to the muffler. has anyone ever installed their own exhaust that could help??

Old 01-30-2008, 11:55 PM
ricksblazer828 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah i put a 40 on mine and ran it out the back. just cut the existing pipe off as soon as it lines up with the back and clamp or weld the pipe there. I used stock piping but when i ran it out the back i used 2 1/4. Its not as loud as i thought it would be any suggestions. I thought about running 2 1/2 muffler back. good idea or not.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 AM

I asked the guy at Meideke to run a 2 1/2 out the side, and he said he couldn't run it out the side, so he was gonna run it out the way the stock tail pipe was. That was fine with me knowing he couldn't do it for whatever reason, so I said fine. My stock tail pipe was 2 1/4 and I wanted it 2 1/2, so he said he'd do it. When I went to pick up my truck, my old tail pipe was on. He did a nice job fitting the old tail pipe back on, making sure it looked good, but I was disappointed because I specifically asked for a 2 1/2 tail pipe. After all, it is MY truck. He claimed the 2 1/2 inch tail pipe wouldn't sound any different. The Super 40 does sound good, but not as loud as I'd like it. It idles very low, a little bit louder than my stock exhaust, but to someone who didn't know what the truck sounded like before, they wouldn't know the difference. I started my truck up today and my friend said, "Didn't it always sound like that?". Now, my brother who is familiar with the sound of my exhaust even said the idle sounds very low, but when I give it enough gas it roars. He was following me on the thruway today, and he said it sounded amazing. I couldn't hear it, from the inside all I heard was the low muffled tone, but I'm glad atleast from the outside it's good. I floored it in an underground parking lot and it sounded like a monster truck mixed with a nascar. I don't know whether to have another mechanic completely remove the tail pipe and put a 2 1/2" tail pipe on it, or to just buy a tip. This ugly old tip is actually getting burnt at the tip, and it's just ugly looking. I mean, if you don't make the part that shows look good, nobody's gonna know you even have a performance exhaust in the first place.

Also, I think for the first mile in a half, the muffler needs to get broken in, so it's not gonna sound that impressive, but after driving with it a bit you'll eventually start hearing the deep rumble. Starting the truck up for the first time didn't impress me, but eventually you start to notice it. My brother's first reaction was basically it's low and not as good as expected, but when I pulled in the driveway and he heard me pull in, he said it actually sounds really good.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster 40 Series getting installed