Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:31 AM
*Old_School* is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow

Which is better? And BTW, I heard that Flowmaster lost their patent and that now knock offs will be being made by everyone, including magnaflow, with the same sound and preformance of flowmaster. Anyone else heard that?

Old 06-23-2007, 11:18 AM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow

I just got a Magnaflow and I think it sounds pretty nice. I haven't listened to a blazer with Flowmaster (other than clips on the internet) so I don't what they would actually sound like.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:19 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

My Blazer has a flowmaster 40. It sounds good but I want it louder. I think I may grab me a new 44 and stick it on later in the summer. I have heard good things about Magnaflow, but they have a different peak sound point than flowmaster.

Flowmaster has not lost the patent on the deltaflow design, however they did sell their patented resonater and glasspack designs that they were developing early this year... I think Summit or Dynomax may have picked it up though, which are both good muffler companies.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:38 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had an FM40 with a catco high flow cat and 2.25" piping, andi JUST had a Magnaflow 18" Muffler with a Magnaflow high flow cat and 2.5" piping put on my truck.

Magnaflow has a MUCH better sound than the flowmaster. The flowmaster was louder, but it was raspy and sounded like crap (IMO). The Magnaflow is also stainless and comes with a lifetime warranty.

I'll post a sound clip tonight, i literally just had it installed this morning.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:33 AM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

I realize that this is a Flowmaster versus Magnaflow competition here, but I'd like to do a little advertising for Dynomax. I have a Dynomax Super Turbo system and love it. It has a great mellow sound at low RPMs and the 2.5" piping really allows the motor to breathe when you get on it. The best part about it is that it won't cost a fortune like most of the Flowmaster and Magnaflow systems. You can pick up everything you need to bolt right up to the cat's 3-bolt flange for $160 (muffler, pipes, hangers).

Old 06-25-2007, 06:17 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: EuroGoldLS

My Blazer has a flowmaster 40. It sounds good but I want it louder. I think I may grab me a new 44 and stick it on later in the summer.
HEH, i got a 40 too and i agree, its loud butshould be louder [sm=badbadbad.gif]I gotta say though i really like the throatyness of the flowmaster's vs the magnaflo's. Just personal preference i guess but ive heard both side by side (my blazer vs another at an offroad meet) and i still stand by my 40 series (plus mine was louder).

Edit: For reference this is what Dale sounds like Clicky

Old 06-25-2007, 06:24 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

About 5 years ago I had a Magnaflow installed onmy tuned-port injected Trans Am, and I loved it, but every time I heard a Flowmaster I kicked myself in the *** for just jumping on a Magnaflow.The next time I bought a muffler, it was 2-super 40 Flowmasters, and I have never bought another brand since. My Blazer has a super 40 and it's plenty loud for a daily driver, and the performance increase was at least noticeable. IMO, Flowmaster should have a pattent on their SOUND, it's awesome.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:05 AM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

About 5 years ago I had a Magnaflow installed onmy tuned-port injected Trans Am, and I loved it, but every time I heard a Flowmaster I kicked myself in the *** for just jumping on a Magnaflow.The next time I bought a muffler, it was 2-super 40 Flowmasters, and I have never bought another brand since. My Blazer has a super 40 and it's plenty loud for a daily driver, and the performance increase was at least noticeable. IMO, Flowmaster should have a pattent on their SOUND, it's awesome.
I dont know if it is the same on the TPIs but I know it has been dyno proven on the LS1s (maybe LT1s too cant confirm that) that the Flowmaster actually gives you less power than stock exhaust. That is a reason why I am hesitent to go with Flowmaster, it makes me wonder if FM is just to around to make sound and not power.

Im sure everyone is going to get on here saying "I noticed a huge difference over stock with my FM:" but I dont care. A butt dyno means nothing to me. Show me a dyno graph or timeslips and I will make up my mind then.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:09 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Euro just cut off the pipe after the flowmaster, it will be plenty loud, loud enough to set off car alarms. Trust me i did :P

Old 06-29-2007, 11:42 AM
*Old_School* is an unknown quantity at this point

power is not a issue for me with my blazer. Thats what the nova is for

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow