Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:04 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow

ORIGINAL: BLK85

I dont know if it is the same on the TPIs but I know it has been dyno proven on the LS1s (maybe LT1s too cant confirm that) that the Flowmaster actually gives you less power than stock exhaust. That is a reason why I am hesitent to go with Flowmaster, it makes me wonder if FM is just to around to make sound and not power.

Im sure everyone is going to get on here saying "I noticed a huge difference over stock with my FM:" but I dont care. A butt dyno means nothing to me. Show me a dyno graph or timeslips and I will make up my mind then.
I cant speak to power increase but I'm finding about 1-2mpg more at the pump vs my stock exhaust. If you have seen whats under most of the blazers stock its any wonder how they move any exhaust gasses. My tail pipe looked like it was beat with a hammer to get over the rear axle and I'm pretty sure the outlet pipe was smaller than the inlet pipe. At any rate thats just what I've found.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:18 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

Lmao!......beat with a hammer......funny....

Old 08-01-2007, 07:13 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: TheBrettster

Euro just cut off the pipe after the flowmaster, it will be plenty loud, loud enough to set off car alarms. Trust me i did :P
If I do anything else, I'm gonna go strait pipe with resonator only. That will be loud enough for me. : )

Old 08-01-2007, 09:17 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

FWIW, the Magnaflow isn't a baffled muffler, you can actually see right through it.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:42 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a dynomax bullet. A Flowmaster works if you believe it does, and magnaflow actually helps but you can get the bullet for 35 bucks all day long brand new and it flows better then most.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

too bad the main restriction isnt the muffler, i dont think you get any gains from replacing the muffler alone, other than sound.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:41 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

too bad the main restriction isnt the muffler, i dont think you get any gains from replacing the muffler alone, other than sound.
The main restriction on a 2nd gen is the size or should I say lack of size of the manifolds and front pipes. As long as a cat is in good working order it will produce the back pressure needed not to burn up the valves. The Muffler has a big part in the flow as well as the sound. If they didnt have anything to do with flow then every muffler would be the same.( not to mention dyno testing of the muffler with different engine combo's)

On a stock vehicle the main reason for a muffler change is the sound but put some power in front of that muffler then you have to change it to accomidate the flow of air/fuel and spent gases that are in the engine.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:54 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

and so it is written, the epic battle between flowmaster and magnaflow shall take place here, on blazerforum.com!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-04-2007, 01:04 AM
Starting Member
stevelknievel is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 40 series on my jimmy right after the cat and at the moment its just dumped right out of the muffler and its loud enough for me to set some car alarms off in subs when i get on it. my buddyhas a magnaflow setup on his fox body and it doesn't seem to be as raspy as the flowmasters but it'sdefinitely not as loud.and i had a bullet on my old chevy and that thing was ungodly loud

Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 AM
FirehawkNS is an unknown quantity at this point

I would stick with Magnaflow or Dynomax. I had a dynomax system on my 94 V6 camaro and it sounded better then any other v6 anyone had heard (according to others besides myself) and had decent get up and go from the install. I have installed a few Magnaflows oncamaro's and Mustang's and have always loved there sound and performance. When I got my Z it had flowbastards on it. I installed most my mods from motor going back to the flows and never was happy with the gains. I finally took the flows off and installed a Corsa system and pulled it straight onto the dyno and gained 30hp before tune. I didn't like flows before that, I hated them afterwards! Now I'm new to the blazer so all things are not equal, but again I plan to run either dynomax or magnaflows.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Vs. Magnaflow