Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Glasspack questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009 | 05:16 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

the tingling you hear is just the hot fiberglass in the muffler.

Old 11-11-2009 | 11:18 AM
Beginning Member
K-BERTHABABY-5 is on a distinguished road

i have the same noise in my glasspack on my k5....after i turn it off theres like a ticking kinda noise from the glasspack so i would like to kno the answer too......and how do i get the loudest sound without str8 pipes because i was told str8 pipes for a everyday driver is bad and will end up costin me a penny later on........if i get a shorter glasspack will that help or hurt?

Old 11-11-2009 | 03:56 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

A shorter glass pack would make a higher pitched sound... If you wanna make it louder you get the glass pack really hot, by driving hard then spray water into the glass pack... This causes the fiberglass to shrink up and be louder.

Old 11-11-2009 | 06:04 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 96chevblazer
A shorter glass pack would make a higher pitched sound... If you wanna make it louder you get the glass pack really hot, by driving hard then spray water into the glass pack... This causes the fiberglass to shrink up and be louder.
Its an old hot rodders trick to just run straight pipes, also turning the muffler around backwards so the louvers inside don't scoop up some of the gas and let it all flow straight out. The temp shock of cold water on the hot glass causes it to break not shrink. The broken parts blow out the tailpipe resulting in basically straight pipes.

Old 11-12-2009 | 03:56 PM
Beginning Member

ok thats what i want i want loud but not high like with a shorter pack........so if i say like go muddin for a while or jus drive around for like 30-45 mins and get it nice n hot and do the water thing that will sound kinda like str8 pipes..............i wanted to do str8 pipes when i do my headers but i was told that with my 350 i will end up payin more for repairs more often or somthing like that? is that true?

Old 11-12-2009 | 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by K-BERTHABABY-5
i wanted to do str8 pipes when i do my headers but i was told that with my 350 i will end up payin more for repairs more often or somthing like that? is that true?
yes this is true, engines need some back pressure (cuased by cats and muffs) to run correctly. If there is no back pressure (straight pipes) then you will be paying for it...

Old 11-12-2009 | 06:56 PM
Beginning Member

if i do the "break the glasspack" thing will that get me a good loud sound? like i want loud and strong sound. i want to be heard from a far kinda thing....n e suggestions for me

Old 11-14-2009 | 12:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 96chevblazer
yes this is true, engines need some back pressure (cuased by cats and muffs) to run correctly. If there is no back pressure (straight pipes) then you will be paying for it...
Back pressure being required for an engine to work properly is just a myth. It is not true. A quick google search for "back pressure myth" will turn up a LOT of write ups explaining why so I will not get into that.

Old 11-14-2009 | 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Back pressure being required for an engine to work properly is just a myth. It is not true. A quick google search for "back pressure myth" will turn up a LOT of write ups explaining why so I will not get into that.
Well then hell might as well straight pipe it lol

Old 11-14-2009 | 07:45 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer327 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive had every kind of muffler on a 4.3 you can think of and a 2 chamber flowmaster is the only one that didnt sound like a weedeater

Quick Reply: Glasspack questions!