Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Got my Flo 40, AEM intake question..

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:23 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got my Flo 40, AEM intake question..

Got my Flowmaster 40 series in the mail yesterday, gonna try to get it installed tomorrow. I have an AEM Brute Force air intake. I've noticed a lot of air intakes sound loud, like vacuum cleaners. My friend has a Dodge Ram with a K&N intake, and his sounds really loud, he also has dual Flo 40's on his truck. My intake doesn't make much noise at all at idle, but you can sometimes hear it hissing when I rev it at cold start. When I get my 40 series installed, do you think the intake would sound louder since there's more flow? Also I got a 2.50 in/out and gonna put a 2.50 tail pipe on it. The original in/out was 2.25 along with the tail pipe. Now that I'm running a full 2.50 through my truck, there should be greater air flow, correct?

Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Got my Flo 40, AEM intake question..

correct... i definately noticed a difference when getting my K&N. i already had a magnaflow cat/muffler and there was a change in sound after the CAI.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:03 PM

Does the intake have a vacuum kinda sucking sound? And I need to get a magnaflow cat. Must sound awesome.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: dimmuborgir6nik6

Does the intake have a vacuum kinda sucking sound? And I need to get a magnaflow cat. Must sound awesome.
As that is exactly what it is doing... yes. Changing to a cold air induction system deletes the stuff that was designed in to the stock system to make it quieter. Hence, it is louder.....

Old 01-24-2008, 04:47 PM

Yeah, my intake just doesn't make the cool sucking sound. My brother has an AEM short ram intake on his Saturn SL2, and it makes more noise than mine does. All of the intakes I've heard sound good at idle, and louder when revved. I figure maybe mine is quiet because my factory exhaust system is too restricting with airflow.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:15 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Nik, your exhaust is not going to modify the way your intake sounds, and your intake is not going to modify the way your exhaust sounds. They are separate systems and they will each sound however they are going to sound because of the way each is designed.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

If you get a throttle body spacer that will help your intake with noise if you want it louder and desert rat has themfor 111.00 bucks, My friend has a airaid cold air intake and it got really loud and mean sounding when he added a throttle body spacer to his!!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's about all you'll get from a TB spacer on a motor that builds so much torque down low such as the 4.3L v6.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:54 PM

I thought of a TB spacer, $111 is a good price considering some of them I saw going up to about $300. But the 4.3 V6 does have a good amount of torque.

http://www.desertrat.com/products/?id=4903
AIR-200-580 96-04 S-10 / Blazer 4.3L N/A $102.99

That's the TB spacer that would work?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Yes that is the one that would work, hmm the price went down since I priced one 6months ago nice!!!

Quick Reply: Got my Flo 40, AEM intake question..